Chapter 13

Three weeks after her mother broke into her home, Aeryne had almost completely regained mobility in her leg. Her wound on her arm from her mother's knife had completely closed, leaving the trace of a small scratch as if nothing had happened there. A lot had happened there.

Her mother was arrested the same afternoon she entered the house, when the pair finished tying Christina's hands they took her to the sofa to wait for help, while Dylan took care that the woman who was still asleep did not wake up to do another of her misdeed Aeryne had gone for Officer Bunsen to report the incident and ask for help from police headquarters.

What she had discovered then had horrified her. Bunsen had been killed by a stab wound to the neck that lacerated his carotid artery and left him to bleed out in seconds, he had no defensive wounds so they thought he had been surprised by Christine who in a single blow that took his life.

She pulled to the side of the road where a vintage Mercedes Benz was parked, Detective Maurice Williams was leaning against the driver's door waiting for the girl to be taken to court, where she would testify against her mother.

She got into the car, putting on her seat belt while the man handed her a coffee and a bag of donuts, a cliché for a cop, but what could be done, we all like donuts, right?

-Good morning, how are you feeling today? - he turn the corner joining the main avenue of the town. The girl devoured the donut and washed it down with the coffee.

-Anxious, by the way what a nice car I want one like this one day- she ran her hands over the imported leather, swallowed the last piece of donut.- I didn't expect this to happen so soon- she passed the donut with a little coffee.

-It had to be, the police pressure after Officer Bunsen's death made everything move faster- he braked in front of the red light. Everyone at the station felt the death of that officer who had been in the police station for just over a year doing guard duty in the garage, for everyone he was a good friend who brightened up the mornings with coffee and laughter.

While she was eating the second donut the phone rang, on the hands-free Dylan's voice was heard on the other side of the line, he was agitated.

-There was a jailbreak in Brighton, Jason escaped from prison, kidnapped a guard and held him captive until he was sure he was not being followed, he took his uniform, cell phone and fled. We have already notified the nearest counties and issued an alert for his arrest, we don't know how he got to the gate area, we assume he had help from the guards, we are tracking the phone but we don't think he will use it again...- silence sat in the car between the two of them, right in the back seats, looking straight ahead and filling the road with fears and doubts.

-Keep us informed of what happened, we are on our way to court when we leave the hearing I'll contact you- he cut the call without waiting for a response from the other side.

They crossed Rosmen Avenue, leaving behind the chaotic bustle of the morning that carried people to their jobs. Suddenly all that anxiety she felt was turning into a hole in the base of his stomach that asked her to give back everything she had eaten that morning, she breathed deeply quieting her thoughts. Step by Step. She would go that morning to testify against her mother, then she'll see what to do with her life.

Aeryne kept her eyes on the street sweepers of the city, with the wind that had not changed the weather in those weeks, the leaves of the trees filled the street making it dangerous to circulate once they began to decompose, so they had to be removed and that it was the job of the street sweepers. They did it carefully, filling garbage cans that they later removed with patience and a lot of dedication.

She didn't notice when the car pulled into the courthouse's private parking lot and her boss unbuckled his seat belt to get out. The journalists who were able to see the car enter the premises flocked to the scene like leeches to blood. The door opened allowing the girl to get out after removing her seat belt. The case had taken on state resonance after Bunsen's death, without a doubt an officer killed in action sold the news, especially when a group of colleagues from the same police station, friends of the deceased, ranted against her on open television for the alleged guilt that she had to shit.