7

CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN

THE COLD AIR WAS a knife trailing along my skin, not hurtful, yet still irritating, making my skin prickle all over. I could feel its sharp caress through my uniform, I could feel its grip in my hair as it threaded through my dark hair, kissing the back of my neck.

Professor Caldwell Faustus had brought in another Ilvermorny professor into the equation, Professor Vane Jamestown, an allegedly renowned wizard known for his past endeavors as part of the National American Quidditch team decades ago. It was his expertise in the field he had previously traversed in, that had qualified him to assist in the training of the Durmstrangs, as well as to aid us in our directions for the Huntlock.

It appeared that the Durmstrang champion delegation consisted of Archers and Quidditch players both, and the Ilvermorny champions consisted of Quidditch players and Wizards chess players, the Hogwarts delegation was of yet still a mystery since they were due to arrive today, and the Beauxbatons delegation were a selection of capable Archers, with most of us having a steady hand in both Quidditch and Wizard chess-though only Gabriel Chevrolet and Elias Dupont played Quidditch for their houses at Beauxbatons every year, and Bridgette, Maximillian and I were were more than efficient at Wizards chess. However, it had still come as a surprise when we had been told the Huntlocks could set us on a pitch we were not confident about stepping on.

"What do you mean, all four games can come into play?" Gabriel Chevrolet had thundered at Professor Fabien, his jaw twitching as the new information just came to light. "You mentioned only three just now! Et pour l'amour de dieu, we were under the impression that we only have to compete in Archery."

"That is the challenge of the Huntlock, Monsieur Chevrolet," The professor offered a small smile, "Competitors have to be faced with the unknown, to keep the essence of the twisted legacy alive, despite how wrong it had been. By keeping a part of it in the games, we tell the les dorés that we acknowledge their suffering."

"Enough of that," Gabriel snapped, his eyes viciously glaring at the former. "Get to the point, Professor, we have to take part in four games?"

"Archery, Quidditch, Wizards Chess and the le défi inconnu," The professor mused, a dazed look in his eyes. "For the challenges you will be given, all these can come into play."