34

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

"THE GIRLS BATHROOM," ZUBAIR Dimitrova affirmed, a brow raised as he whistled lowly.

The shards of sunlight poured into the marble room from the tall and intricately designed glass windows in the small main hall, illuminating the very ancient roman reminiscent circular architecture of the cream washing station—adorned with taps and basins—that stood grand right in the middle. The design of it was bulbous, and the stone of it was visible darkening at some edges, though the structure seemed entirely concrete and determined to withstand whatever amount of time it was put to the challenge to.

"Yeah," Harry Potter shifted on his feet awkwardly, a hand scratching his head briefly as he fixed his eye glasses in place.

Despite Agilbert Fontaine's insistence of our assignment remaining a secret, the information had, under recent circumstances, seemed prudent to reveal to Harry Potter, and I had done just that. With strict instruction to keep the business from his friends and the two nosy Weasley twins, Potter had readily agreed to oblige aid in our search. 

A few hours later we had found ourselves discreetly led by the boy into the girls bathroom, as we now stood facing the intriguing roman-esque sink structure which Potter claimed to be the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets. The hiding place of the Resurrection stone as per Aurelius Dumbledore's information.

"Do you think Dumbledore knows the stone is in there?" I asked, the question brimming inside me. If the deathly hallows were really all at Hogwarts, then why was the school headmaster not aware of their hiding places? Why had he let Fontaine assign us to the task? Could he not find them by himself if he tried?

"I don't know," Harry shrugged. "I have never heard him speak of the stone. Or any of the hallows, really."

"But there's only one way to find out, isn't there?" Viktor Krum spoke, his voice thick as firm eyes exchanged a glance with Harry and then with me.

"I suppose so." The boy muttered, uncertainty clear in his voice. He seemed skeptical, and anxious, and I couldn't place if it was the mention of the hallows that made him so or the Chamber of Secrets itself.

"Why can't that place be left alone for once?" The whiny voice of the bathroom ghost girl returned, her pale translucent sheer hands clasping the door of one of the bathroom stalls in the distance, eyes peering from aside to look at us.

She had shrieked when we had entered the bathroom and promptly disappeared into a stall, wailing a curse word. I had quickly decided that her reaction had much to do with Gabriel Chevrolet's form striding in first, holding himself as though he had owned the place. The dead Hogwarts girl had been reclining by the sink, humming a song and attempting to float an intricate origami boat on the puddle of water at the feet of a sink. The sight of a Beauxbatons boy marching in with a party at his back was probably not a usual sight.