20

CHAPTER TWENTY

THERE WAS FIRE IN HIS EYES as he looked at me then, the Durmstrang looked as though he was a carved bust unearthed then and there, his muscles of stone as every nerve in him seemed to tighten and tighten. I could almost hear the creaking of his bones if I tried hard enough, in his firm knuckles, in his neck, in his face as his jaw shook with pressure.

What would it matter to him were I to listen to vinyls with Oliver Wood? Perhaps he saw me as a criminal, a witch with cursed blood who shouldn't be allowed to live and do anything humane anymore. Who was he to decide if I breathed or not? I could strike this Bulgarian lump of muscle down with a flick of my hand, and he wouldn't realize until his chest was empty of air and blood. Merlin, it was so tempting. My wrist ached, wanting to be used, runes flipping like pages of a fashion magazine on my tongue—each pattern different and deadlier than the next.

Suddenly a loud wavering cry sounded in the air, a piercing hawk that I recognized at once, my will submitting to it immediately. I looked up, to spot the form of Professor Basil in the air as he swooped down towards us, his eyes singularly fixed on me. I read his clear disapproval in them. He had been seeking me out, and seemed disappointed at me not having been there.

He approached, his wings resulting in waves of heavy winds as he lowered himself and clamped his talons on the dark balustrade of the tower terrace. He wrapped his wings close, then his eyes moved from me to Oliver Wood and Viktor Krum, as he tried to read the situation. I felt humiliation creep up inside me at being found here with the two students—neither of them from Beauxbatons. Professor Basil was brutal with his observations, he was strict with his views, and straight forward with his disregard whenever he found the need to express it.

Wood and Krum were startled at my Professor appearing so suddenly. Perhaps, their teachers did not like the element of surprise like mine seemed to.

"Dominique," Professor Basil turned his yellow eyes to me, his tone sharp. "Vous ne devriez pas être ici."

"Yes, professor," I started, lowering my head. "I—I couldn't sleep so I—"

"I did not ask. I am simply telling you," He cut in, glancing at Viktor Krum and Oliver Wood again. "I hope I do not need to remind you of the required appropriate behavior befitting a Beauxbatons student in this situation."