14

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

THE WORLD TRIED TO TEAR you further away from what you wanted in life, it seemed to me. The closer you got, something came in between. The hurdles seemed never ending, absolute. They reappeared in different forms and mystical shapes, and they kept coming until you gave up. What was this undying selfishness? The world was the ground beneath my feet so why would it not want me to succeed? Why test me, why rock me off my axis, when it rotated perfectly in it's own? 

I looked at my wand, tilting it slightly in my hand, before the chaos around me snapped me back to my senses and I pushed the silver green wand into my left boot. 

The smell of fresh coffee wafted in through the air as people talked to each other around us in varying tones, some practically yelling in someone else's face. The smell of toasted bread and warm eggs mixed into the air, making the wind heavy somehow as it rested right at our shoulders. The clanking of porcelain plates and glass mugs, the rattle of silver cutlery and some old man's shaking cough, it all created an atmosphere that seemed entirely foreign to me. All my years in Beauxbatons, I hadn't ever found myself in a place like this before. 

Crowds were daunting in ways I couldn't name. When you hid something about yourself that could result in your destruction, you feared recognition in eyes of people you didn't know the stories of. Recognition from people you didn't recognize, was a strange kind of terrible. 

Viktor Krum's ebony irises observed me, his biceps pushed out as he rested his elbows on the small wooden table for two, seated directly opposite to me. His face was schooled to his stoicism, and knowing the fact that it was he who had dragged me in here, the seriousness on his face at present was astounding. 

I kept my eyes turned away, letting my raven eyes settle on one stranger or the other in the distance, as the unfamiliars laughed or discussed a heated topic, seemingly having no worries of their own. All the while, I felt Krum's gaze on me, as he tried hard to catch whatever I could betray from my expressions.