16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

THE DWARF WITCH PURSED her thin lips, her sullen cheeks shifting slightly as she pondered on an adequate response to present to me. Anger pulsated in my veins. I despised being held at bay. If I found her answers lacking, I would carve them out of her like a pumpkin on all hallows eve, leaving her empty and truly shallow—a hollow hull of a body.

"The old man knows where The Elder Wand is—or at least, he used to until someone—," The woman started and halted, realization flooding inside her. She knew now that that someone had been me. I wondered how long she had spent thinking over who had erased Gregorovitch's mind clean. 

"Who was it that found the wandmaker?" I pressed, my glare on her intent, "Tried to search his memories and blew his house up?" 

"N-no," The witch shook her head. "Albert found the old man in the wreckage of his house. We didn't blow his house up. Word had spread amongst the acolytes that The Elder Wand's presence was known to Gregorovitch, it reached us so I had Albert get him. By the time Albert got to him, his house was already smithereens and his mind was blank. Nobody else here knows about Gregorovitch or the existence of the wand. Only a handful of acolytes and us." 

"And you intend to do what with The Elder Wand?" I hissed switching to German and translocating myself. In a second, I was right next to her. And she felt it. I saw her stiffen as a gush of wind moved a piece of her thin dark hair. "Willst du es erwerben? Willst du es benutzen?" 

"W-we thought," She began to answer in German, voice slightly shaking. In her native tongue, I could sense her better. Any lie she would tell won't go by unnoticed. "If you didn't come to claim your leadership, we could—" 

"I claim my leadership," I broke through, cutting her short. The admittance shot a wave of thrill down my body, along with a simultaneous dread, and I couldn't tell which feeling was stronger. What was I doing? What had I done?

"If any of you even think like that again, you will pay." 

The witch swallowed, nodding once as resolution masked her features. "That is great, then. There will be no fight over The Elder Wand among the acolytes, now that we know it belongs to our leader. You."