What's Wrong?

"... wanna tell me why he called you dad?"

"I'm surprised it took you this long to get around to it."

"Well, excuse me for being busy with my own things, and taking care of your overpowered, little spider-kid."

The second hummed. "I guess I gotta thank you for that?"

"If your highness so pleases."

"Y'know, I missed that snappy sarcasm of yours, Banner. Glad to have you back, and thanks for taking care of the kid."

A beat of silence.

Then, "When did you become so humble? The Tony I know wouldn't say thanks for the life of him—unless it was for sarcastic purposes."

"It's been two years, Big Green. You're not the only one who can change."

"Yeah, but... you?"

Another beat of silence. "Won't lie, that one hurt, Doc."

"Yeah, sorry."

"You're good." A groan, and plastic creaking. "I'm getting too old for this. Oh, and my left arm is numb. Is that normal, or am I just dying?"

The first hummed. "Probably dying."

"I knew it. Too bad." They sniffed as a second went by. "How long 'til he wakes up?"

"Should be any moment now."

"Cool."

More silence.

"So... what's the custody situation?"

"Ugh," the second groaned, "why does everybody guess about that?"

"Well, you two do seem like a good fit for each other. And, he called you dad. What is he, a secret love-child?"

"No! Geez, no! He's the flesh and blood of Mary and Richard Parker. I had nothing to do with it."

"So what is it?"

A sigh. "It's... hard to explain."

"Simplify it for me."

"I'm... not sure he would want me to."

"He's asleep."

"I know that." A beat of more silence. "Fine. One request, though."

"What?"

"You can't tell anyone about this. Deal?"

"Deal."

"Okay. Um... It's... a special relationship, is the best way to describe it. I think I'm just a father-figure to him. He hasn't said it explicitly, but... that's what it is."

"Oh." There was another pause, before the first said, "It suits you."

"What?"

"This 'special relationship' you have with him? Fatherhood looks good on you."

As if on cue, Peter felt himself shift with a small groan, only to have the second coo at him comfortingly and shush him gently, a hand rubbing his arm gently.

"Shut up," the second said after a moment.

"You-you're just proving my point," the first snickered.

"Shh! He's waking up!"

That sounded like his actual cue.

Peter started trying to pry his eyes open, succeeding when the crust gluing them shut broke, letting his eyelashes flutter apart.