Chapter 22 (unedited)

|Warnings| Strong offensive language and hate speech.

-------------------------------------------------------------

✔︎ Third p.o.v✔︎

The courtroom is once again crowded with friends and family of Ryder Daniel, behind the defendant's table are family members of Umang Singh. Unfortunately, the only support system Skylar has is Kaizen and for him, that is all he needs. Judge Owen returns to the bench, quickly shuffling her paperwork together in one pile she looks on at the jury. First, Judge Owen makes an announcement, calling this case downright evil.

"Do these defendants have anything to say before the verdict is read?" Judge Owen asks.

"Skylar Jaquiel would like to speak," Ms. Calway says, Skylar stands up and looks at the judge.

Kaizen seems to notice Eric isn't present, seeing only Umang seated upfront and Skylar standing. Kaizen glances at the door waiting for Eric to walk in, however, he never does. Kaizen feels his stomach drop, he knows something isn't right. Why would they continue with one less defendant? This makes Kaizen wonder if authorities know where Eric is.
"I'm sorry ma'am, I didn't mean to hurt anybody," Skylar says then turns to look at the victim's family "And i'm sorry Mr. and Mrs. Daniel".

The parents never once look at Skylar, Miya just continues crying in her husband's lab. Alejandro stares down at his feet, avoiding eye contact with Skylar as much as possible. Judge Owen orders these defendants to please rise, when asking if the jury reached a verdict one juror stands. "We have your honor," An older man says.

"Umang Singh, one count of negligence, one count of assault with a deadly weapon, and one count of tampering with evidence. How do you find?" Judge Owen asks.

"We find the defendant guilty"

"Skylar Jaquiel, one count of murder in the first degree, one count of tampering with evidence, and one count of dismemberment. How do you find?"

"We find the defendant guilty, by reason of insanity"

In exchange for his testimony, Umang gets a deal- fifteen years in prison. However, Skylar is serving time in a mental institution for his involvement, in addition to five years of probation. Miya isn't thrilled with the outcome but feels it's a step in the right direction. As for Alejandro, he is angry by the verdict. Other family members were hoping for the maximum sentence, life in prison.

"But my son is dead-" Alejandro yells in outrage, jumping out of his seat as he points at the judge.

"Honey, stop-" Miya says, pushing her husband's arm down.

"He needs to go to prison, he doesn't need to be laying in no mental hospital" Alejandro continue yelling "He's crazy, he wasn't crazy when he killed my son man"

"Take him out," Miya says. A court security officer grabs her husband's arm, and Alejandro process to yell even while being escorted out of the courtroom.

"HE WASN'T CRAZY THEN, BUT HE'S CRAZY NOW. ALL OF A SUDDEN, HE CRAZY NOW!" Alejandro continues while court officers drag him out into the hallway.
Miya covers her face with both hands, sobbing uncontrollably.

Many strangers standing outside the courthouse are outraged by the verdict. Everybody is left to wonder, what would happen if the roles were reversed? What if Skylar was a black boy killing a white boy? Would the outcome be different?