Chapter 6

|Warning| Strong language.

|TW| slight description of rape
_________________________________________

During gym on Tuesday, our class stands in the field, practicing soccer kicks. I hate Soccer, well I don't like sports in general but soccer is annoying. Who thinks about a game where you can't pick up a ball unless you're the goalie? What's so special about being the goalie anyway?

I juggle the soccer ball between my legs, trying to get distracted while Mr. Simpon is correcting other students' techniques. I go in for another kick, only to strike the ball so hard- it rolls out to where Jayla, Ryder, and Umang are. I look up, unfortunately seeing Ryder stop the ball with his foot.

Oh great, what do I do? I think, glancing at these empty ball holders nearby Ugh it's empty.

If I look to the left, Skylar is kicking the ball back and forth to Pepper Glen. On the right, Eric is practicing being a goalie while Katy, Hayden, Orlen, and Jake play an actual game. I return my attention to Ryder, who is patiently waiting.

Here goes nothing, I think, walking over to the grass. "Hey," I say to Jayla and Umang.

Umang smiles.

"Hi," Jayla says.

I try taking my ball back, but Ryder playfully juggles it to his right foot. When I reach again, Ryder juggles the ball back to his left, then kicks and catches it in his hand. "Can I have that please?" I ask.

Ryder continued chewing gum but didn't respond. I wave my hand in his face, then suddenly he grabs my wrist- grasping tighter as his nails dig into the skin.
I tried pulling away "LET GO...OWW, YOU'RE HURTING ME".

We stare at each other, this evil smirk appears on Ryder's face which is chilling. As time passes, it feels like the grasp is getting tighter. Umang eventually intervenes- grabbing Ryder by his hand which continues to latch on. " Ryder let go.." Umang says, however when Ryder doesn't listen he yells " LET GO OF HIS WRIST DAMN IT".

That's when an amazing thing happens, Umang forcibly removes Ryder's hand and shoves him to the ground. I look at my wrist, besides the skin being red I'll be fine. When the entire class comes to see what all the commotion is about, Eric is first to find his voice "What is going on? Ryder, are you okay?"

Ryder flips his hair back, and it stands up in every direction "You just made a big mistake Umang" He stands up, pushing past me to get to approach Umang directly. "Is there a problem?"

Umang looks at everybody around him but doesn't speak up.

Ryder gets closer "Because it seems like you've gone soft".

"Because I'm not like you, Ryder," Umang says, twisting off the metal ring around his finger. He places it in Ryder's hand "And I never will be".

Umang says "I'm out of the group", separating himself from the crowd, but Eric grabs his arm before he leaves.

"You will regret this" Eric whispers sharply, without responding Umang yanks his arm away and storms toward the school.

"Umang wait!" I chase after my best friend, sliding between these double doors before they close.

For a while, I search up and down both gyms- the locker room and even the bathrooms to find Umang. I eventually catch up to him in the hallway. "Umang wait!" I yell.

Umang stops near the cafeteria and looks down as I hurry over. "Kaizen, I'm not going back to class," He says, hiding both hands in his pockets.

"That's not what I'm here for," I say. We walk into the lunchroom, sitting in the first row of seats available. Umang sat down, fondling with his cross necklace.
"It's cool what you did back there," I say. Umang continues playing with the necklace, obviously too distracted. "Hey"