N I N E

As Aemma returned to her mother's chambers with an empty expression, Rhaenyra knew had been too late to find Harwin. 

"Aemma, I know this is difficult, but I need you to sit down." Rhaenyra turned towards the wall as she fiddled with her ring and wiped a tear from her cheek. She took a shaky breath and turned around to face her children. 

"We are leaving for Dragonstone on the morrow," She paused to look at Aemma. "But Aemma, you will stay here." 

"No!" Luke pulled his sister close as tears began to well in his eyes. 

"It's not my choice, it's your grandsire's. Aemma is betrothed to Aemond, and he thinks it would be better for them if she remained here." There were tears in Rhaenyra's eyes as Jace approached Luke and Aemma, pulling them close. 

"Marry her to me then! Then we would never part!" Luke cried out. Aemma cried in her brother's arms before turning to her mother. 

"Don't leave me here alone, please!" Aemma wailed as Rhaenyra knelt in front of her children. 

"Aemma I would never leave you here on my own volition but you must understand-"

"There is nothing to understand! You are leaving tomorrow, taking everyone with you! Is Father going to remain here with me?" Rhaenyra's silence answered Aemma's question. As Rhaenyra tried to pull Aemma into her arms, she pushed her away and ran to her chambers, her brothers running after her.

Luke and Aemma cried in each other's arms for hours as Jace sat with his arm around them. Aemma could not tolerate the thought of being without her family. She felt so much anger towards her mother for leaving her here alone. Aemma loved her family here in Kings Landing, but they could never begin to replicate the love she had for her parents and brothers. 

Laenor opened the door and silently approached Aemma as she looked up at him and began crying even harder than before. Laenor did not want to leave his daughter, and he had argued with Rhaenyra for hours before she had set her foot down. He knew it wasn't her choice, but the thought of leaving Aemma here as Rhaenyra fled due to simple court rumors made his blood boil.

"Oh Aemma, my sweet Flower." Laenor wrapped his arms around all three of his children and felt hot tears fall down his cheeks. 

"Father, what will I do without you? Without Jace? How am I supposed to remain here without Luke?" She asked through her tears. 

"I had to say goodbye to my sister years ago, as she married your mother's uncle. It has been years since I've seen her, but it is my fault, not hers. We exchange letters, but it will never replace the feeling of holding your sibling in your arms. But Dragonstone is very close, especially with a dragon. I imagine we will all visit often, and when we are settled you may come to Dragonstone and see it for yourself." Laenor cradled Aemma's face in his hands and kissed her forehead. 

"How could Mother agree to this? To leaving me?" She questioned.

"Sometimes, especially as a princess and the heir, there are things she is forced to do. I can promise you, if she truly had the choice, she would have taken you without a second thought." Laenor masked his true feelings. He thought Rhaenyra should have fought harder for their daughter, but he did not say so, for fear of Aemma resenting her mother. Aemma bit her lip and nodded. 

"I think your mother feels just as bad, if not worse than you do for having to leave. I think it would make her feel better if you went to see her. Maybe spend the night with her before she leaves tomorrow. Aemma considered her father's words and nodded. 

"Jace, Luke, I will meet you in mother's chambers. I would like to speak to Father alone." Aemma sniffled as she wiped the remaining tears from her face. Luke begrudgingly let go of Aemma and followed Jace out the door.