07 | it didn't go through

07; IT DIDN'T GO THROUGH
(season one, episode four)

"THAT MUST HURT," Freya remarked, glancing at the mess of blood and swollen knuckles Shane's hand had become

She'd tried to just distract herself after Carol ushered Ed into their tent but it proved futile. The cogs in her mind would not stop turning and the only thing she could think about was Shane beating Ed to a pulp, and thinking of that meant thinking of the lie Shane had told about her father and she just couldn't let it go. So, she'd told her Mom that she was going to find Amy and Andrea but actually went straight to the other end of camp where she knew Shane would be.

He was sitting on a log outside the Morales' tent, tending to his wounded knuckles with a rag and some water that probably wasn't clean enough to use on open wounds. "I've had worse."

Freya raised her brows. "You make habit of beating up assholes?"

He tilted his head at her. "Well, I was a cop for over a decade. What do you think?"

"I think that's called police brutality."

"Call it what you want."

Freya sunk down beside him with a soft sigh. "I say you should've finished him off. He wouldn't be missed."

"Carol might say otherwise," Shane replied, eyes bulging slightly he was taken aback by her willingness to sit with him.

"Only because he makes her feel like she's nothing without him," Freya stated, shooting a glare over at the Peletier's tent. "She'd be fine without him better off."

"Your Mom came to me earlier," Shane admitted, throwing the rag to the ground. "Said I should stay away from her, from Carl and from you," he raised a hand to stop her from cutting him off, "And I can tell by the look in your eyes, you already know why. So, why are you here when you know that ain't what your Momma wants?"

"Because I have questions that need answers."

"I ain't in the mood for answering questions."

Freya scoffed at him. "And I wasn't in the mood to mourn my Father, but you still told me he was dead when he wasn't."

Shane put his head in his hands. "I believed he was. I did. I went to the hospital and he was not breathing."

"He obviously was," Freya countered, voice a lot louder than she'd intended. "Damn it, Shane, I just want the truth."

"I just gave it to you," He insisted, shaking his head. "I went to that goddamn hospital, I went into that room and I put my head on his chest. There was nothing. No heartbeat. No exhale. No inhale. Nothin'. That is the truth."