The Mouth

The Mouth

The mouth is essential for eating, breathing, and drinking and is also, of course, where we form and pronounce words. Highly sensitive to touch and temperature, the mouth is surrounded by more than ten intricately reflexive muscles that not only respond to touch but also reflect our thoughts and sentiments. The mouth can be seductive or sad, joyous or pained—and it accurately registers when one emotion gives way to another in an instant. After we look at the eyes for information, it is here where we search for additional cues as to what is in the mind.

97. LOUD, SHORT EXHALING-This type of exhale, where the lips are left slightly open, indicates high stress or frustration. People exhibit this behavior when hearing bad news or when confronted with a difficult situation. It helps relieve stress, especially when we are angry.

98. CATHARTIC EXHALING-Exhaling with puffed-out cheeks and tight lips indicates that stress is being experienced or has passed. You might see this when a test or an interview is over or after a near accident. This exhale is very audible and takes longer to perform than the above version.

99. AFFIRMATIVE INHALING -A sudden loud inhaling makes a distinct sound that is used in Scandinavian countries, parts of the United Kingdom, and Ireland to signify "Yes" or "Yes, I agree." It is a linguistic shortcut, as no words need to be used. The person quickly inhales loudly enough to sound as if she is gasping for air. Once, after a car ride in Sweden, when I asked if we had arrived, the driver merely did an affirmative inhale and that was it.

100. SUCKING IN AIR THROUGH CORNERS OF MOUTH-This behavior is both seen and heard. The corners of mouth suddenly open slightly and air is quickly inhaled, making a sucking sound. It is extremely reliable in wha it reveals: fright, concern, or anxiety. That the majority of the mouth is closed signifies that the person is, in essence, restricting free movement of the lips, an action that suggests stress and in some cases pain, such as when someone steps on your toes.

01. HOLDING THE BREATH-Polygraphers know this well: when stressed many people have an impulse to hold their breath to try to contain their nervous breathing. Often they even have to be told to breathe. Holding one's breath is part of the freeze, flight, fight response. If you se someone restraining their breathing or actually holding their breath when asked a question, most likely they are experiencing fear or apprehension.

02. DRY MOUTH-Stress, fear, and apprehension can cause our mouths to dry out (the clinical term for this is xerostomia). Some prescribed medicines as well as illicit drugs may also cause dryness of the mouth. A dry mouth is not, as some believe, indicative of deception. It can however, indicate that someone is stressed or anxious.

03. SALIVA BALLS OF MOUTH-A dry mouth due to stress, medication, or illness can cause saliva to become dry and clumpy; these clumps-they often look like little cotton balls-tend to collect in the corners of the mouth. They are sometimes noticeable in speakers who are nervous. It is quite distracting. If you are nervous, it is a good habit to pinch and wipe the corners of your mouth to avoid saliva balls as well as drink water. The clinical term for a dry mouth is xerostomia.

04. CHEWING GUM-Gum chewing is an effective pacifier. Chewing vigorously might signal concern or anxiety. Some people, when stressed, will chew rapidly out of habit even if they don't have gum in their mouths.

05. VOCAL TICS-Sudden vocal projection of noises, clicks, chirps, or throat clearing can be alarming if one is not acquainted with Tourette's syndrome (TS), or other disorders that contribute to vocal tics. Stress and anxiety may be the catalysts for Tourette's outbursts, and there is nothing for us to do but recognize that this is out of the person's control. It is also not uncommon to see the arms move erratically. The best we can do is encourage others not to stare, as this is embarrassing for the person with TS.