The Face

The Face

Though I have already covered individual elements of the face, some behaviors are best understood within their full context. Human beings evolved to glean a great deal of information from the face. The eyes and the mouth especially draw our attention. Usually when we look at someone we like, we toggle our gaze between the eyes and mouth, because these two reveal so much information. Mother and baby scan each other over and over to imprint on each other, to collect information, but also to bond-no less so than lovers silently scanning each other in a café. We are naturally fascinated by faces-millions of words have been spent describing the most famous face of all, the Mona Lisa, precisely because she is so enigmatic. We are naturally curious about faces, and we are enticed when we see something special in them. Faces communicate emotions, thoughts, and feelings, and so throughout our lives we constantly search there for clues. When the Greeks said that a face "launched a thousand ships," it was both metaphorical and quite likely true-that, too, is the power of the face.

97. FACE AVOIDANCE-For a variety of reasons, we sometimes try to avoid face-to-face contact with others, even when we are in their immediate proximity. You see this in court between victim and suspect, or during contentious divorce proceedings. The avoidance becomes obvious by how quickly people will change their demeanor, where they are looking, and how stiff they become, not wishing to look about.

98. FACE BLOCKING-This behavior is noted by the person placing their elbows on top of a table and holding their hands together in front of their face. When asked a question, rather than putting their hands down, they peek around their hands or answer directly into them. They are in essence insulating themselves because of stress, lack of confidence, or because they don't like the person they are talking to. The hands serve as a psychological barrier. The reluctance to unveil the face is often a strong indicator that there are issues.

99. FACE SHIELDING-Around the world, people will cup their hands over their face or use objects to hide their face, usually as a result of shame, embarrassment, fear, anxiety, or apprehension. Oftentimes when arrestees are being led to the waiting police car, they will use articles of clothing to face shield.

100. EMOTIONAL ASYMMETRY OF THE FACE Recently it has been shown that the face is remarkable in its ability to reveal multiple sentiments at once. It can sneer and show contempt while at the same time giving a social smile. This is likely evidence of multiple internally competing sentiments, which show up on the face as "leakage." In my observations, the left side of the face (the right side as you look at the person) tends to be more accurate, especially when it comes to negative emotions. This ability of the face to demonstrate different emotions on different halves is called emotional chirality.

101. FACIAL INCONGRUENCE-Incongruence between what a person says and how it is reflected in the face is not uncommon. People might say one thing, but their face is already telegraphing another. During an exchange of pleasantries, a very tense face or a face displaying dislike or discomfort betrays true sentiments, though the person might be obliged to say something nice or offer a polite greeting.

102. ODD FACE IN CROWD-In dealing with the United States Secret Service on protection details as well as various private-sector companies over the years, I have learned that in a crowd it is often worth trusting our intuition about the odd face that stands out. By that I mean the one that looks angry when everyone else is happy, or that seems transfixed and rigid when the rest of the crowd is displaying a variety of moods. Airline personnel me that in a long queue at the airport, it is the odd emotionally charged face, the one that is not fitting in with the others, that often causes the most problems at the counter.

103. SERENITY IN TURMOIL-Often referred to as "narcissistic serenity," this takes place when the face has an unusual and incongruous expression of calm when the situation would seem to call for anything but calm. Lee Harvey Oswald, Timothy McVeigh, and Bernie Madoff all had this same oddly serene look when arrested, despite their circumstances and the horror of their individual crimes.

104. OUT OF PLACE SMIRK ("DUPING DELIGHT") —-This term, coined by famed researcher Paul Ekman, refers to the out-of-place smirk or half smile a person gives when getting away with something. It is very similar to serenity in turmoil. Duping delight is also seen in those who have outwitted someone, or who think someone has bought in to their lies. It is a pretentious smile at a time and place where humility, seriousness, or even contriteness are more appropriate.

105. FACE TOUCHING-Face touching serves a multitude of purposes. It can attract others we often see models touching their face on magazine covers. Or it can help us relax by stimulating the myriad of nerves on the face. Context is key.