Chapter Three

October 23rd, 2028

I don't care. I don't care. I don't care.

The meeting was held at the Suzuhara Administrative Building in a large boardroom. Itsuki sat on one side of the table with Rensei, Gaya, and their lawyer, Betchaku. Betchaku was a kind man who had been Rensei's lawyer since before Itsuki was alive. Itsuki had met him periodically and he was always patient and wore a smile. He wore no smiles today.

Koryu sat on the other side with his parents and his family's lawyers. Itsuki was honestly surprised to see Koryu's parents present at the meeting. They were both on business trips less than a week ago, and during their brief time dating it was very clear to Itsuki that Koryu had a...tense relationship with his parents. He was much closer to his housekeeper, Kimi, and had spoken of her fondly.

Also present was Itsuki's uncle and the Chairman of the Suzuhara School Board, Mitsuru Suzuhara; his cousin and Yukinaga Boy's Academy Mamoru Suzuhara; Itsuki's homeroom teacher Mr. Jackson's Guinness; and Koryu's homeroom teacher Iori Maeda-sensei. Mr. Guinness was an American expat and United States Navy veteran. Maeda-sensei was an alumnus of Yukinaga had a doctorate in Math. Both teachers sat on the side of the corresponding with their students, though they sat near the head of the table where Mitsuru and Mamoru sat.

When the Noda family's lawyer spread out the pictures on the table, it was the first time Itsuki saw the extent of the damage that had been done to Koryu's Porsche™️. The right headlight was shattered, the front bumper was heavily dented and even partially detached, and the hood was curled slightly in the front. He could see flakes of yellow paint from his Crown™️ sticking to the front bumper. Had the circumstances been different, Itsuki would have been horrified. Or panicking.

But...he didn't feel those things. He didn't feel anything. Inside of him, everything felt...cold. He couldn't find himself to care about the damage, or to care about what his fate would be. The ice inside of him froze his body; froze his emotions.

I don't care. I don't care. I don't care.

He glanced up, and he saw Koryu staring him down. Not even two weeks prior Koryu only ever smiled at him or looked at him with half-lidded gentle eyes. Now though, Koryu was glaring back at him. Visibly snarling at him. There was no love or gentleness in his eyes; only hate and contempt.

But the love was fake. The gentleness was fake. Who cares what he is feeling now? Itsuki held his gaze, refusing to look away. I don't care. I don't care. I don't care.

"The assessment from the insurance is pending, but we are anticipating the Porsche™️ to be declared a total loss," the Noda family lawyer said. He was a man in his mid-forties with a no-nonsense tone and a stern expression. "It is the wish of my clients to not take this to court, so we would prefer to discuss a contract for compensation."

"My clients wish for the same," Betchaku said. "The Toyota Crown™️ that was used in the incident is being sold, and the money earned from the sale will be intended to be put forth towards the compensation. My clients also wish to notify everyone here that Itsuki-kun's driving privileges have been indefinitely revoked by my clients. Itsuki-kun will be dropped off and picked up from school, or he will be taking the train for transportation."

Mr. and Mrs. Noda conversed with their lawyer briefly before their lawyer nodded. "My clients are pleased with this decision."

Koryu snorted, but said nothing.

"If I may speak," Mitsuru said. "I would like to move the meeting towards academic disciplinary actions."

"We agree," the Noda family lawyer said. "My clients feel that they have been generous as to not pursue criminal charges against Itsuki Kiminiro. But we expect Kimniro-kun to face full disciplinary actions."