The Suzuhara Schools

**This description is reflective of the time period it takes place in.**

The Suzuhara school district is an elite private high school in Tokyo, Japan. Established in 1949 by Koichi Suzuhara, the four Suzuhara schools are the preeminent schools in all of Japan. The schools comprise of Suzuhara Elementary School, Suzuhara Middle School, Yukinaga Boy's Academy and Shirahime Girl's Academy. The Elementary and Middle schools are coeds, while the high schools are boys only and girls only. Administrative offices for all four schools are located off-campus. Members of the Suzuhara work at all the schools as teachers.

Koichi designed all four schools following Italianate architecture, as he was fond of this architectural style. The schools are distinguished by color; the Elementary School was painted forest green, the Middle School was painted royal purple, Yukinaga was painted smoky blue, and Shirahime was painted cream-colored. All four schools can be found within the same district in Tokyo; the Elementary and Middle school are within walking distance of each other, and the two high schools are within walking distance to each other. Students at the Elementary and Middle school wear dark blue uniforms, and student at the two high schools wear red and green uniforms.

The Suzuhara schools offer advanced and comprehensive learning, including an expansive study abroad exchange program to thirty countries worldwide. The schools have close association with six business colleges, five technical schools, two performing arts colleges, and one medical school. Because of these factors, Yukinaga Boy's Academy and Shirahime Girl's Academy are amongst the most sought-after high schools in Japan.

The entrance exams for Yukinaga and Shirahime are on February 10th each year. Test results are made public by February 17th, and the top 10 scores are printed in the newspaper, with the name of the candidate. The candidates with the highest scores at each school have their photograph printed in the paper. Students who score within the top 180 at each school are guaranteed placement.

The Suzuhara schools all notoriously have the highest tuition rates in the country. In 1970, the high schools started offering scholarships for students who placed in the top 10. In 1995 however, due to declining enrollments in the early 90s, the scholarship pool was expanded to candidates who placed in the top 30. Those who score within the top 30 are given the option for the scholarship. Those who score outside of the top 30 are required to pay tuition out of pocket. Those who score between 31-180 who cannot afford tuition are disqualified as candidates, and the remaining placement slots will be offered to candidates who placed 181-last place in the order of scores placed until all 180 placements are filled.

The top 10 scoring candidates are given first priority status with placement. Suzuhara family members and children of faculty have all tuition fees waived and are given second priority candidate status if their placement falls between 11-last place.

Starting in the 2020 school year, both Yukinaga Boy's Academy and Shirahime Girl's Academy adjusted their dress code to allow students to dye their. This was prompted when Shinji Suzuhara, son of School Board Chairman Mitsuru Suzuhara and at the time a first-year high school student, dyed his hair blonde and refused to dye it back. To save face both high schools adjusted their dress code to allow all students to dye their hair. The dress code however only allows for "natural" colors; black, brown, red, and blonde. This rule only applies to students of the high schools. Suzuhara Elementary School and Suzuhara Middle School students are not allowed to participate in this.

For incoming first year students, dyeing their hair before the first day of school is considered a "rite of passage" and an average of 87% of first-year students, both scholarship and tuition-paying students, dye their hair before their first day of school.

Starting in the 2028 school year, both Yukinaga Boy's Academy and Shirahime Girl's Academy adjusted their dress code to allow faculty to dye their hair under the same color guidelines as the students. This was prompted, again, by Shinji Suzuhara, who had joined the faculty at Yukinaga Boy's Academy this year. Yukinaga Boy's Academy's Principal, Mamoru Suzuhara, suggested the change to the School Board in avoidance of previous hassles. This rule only applies to the high schools. Suzuhara Elementary School and Suzuhara Middle School faculty are not allowed to participate in this.

Students at the Suzuhara schools are forbidden from getting a job. This is in the promotion of vigorous studying to prepare for a student's future. As such, students working for their family business are granted exception to this rule. Students who are found to have employment not under this guideline are required to end their employment immediately. A student will be given one warning regarding this. Failure to terminate employment will result in disciplinary actions up to and including expulsion from school.

Criminal and unsavory behavior amongst students is not tolerated. Bullying or harassing behavior is not tolerated. Students who are arrested while in uniform will face automatic expulsion.

Current Suzuhara's on Faculty

Suzuhara School Board
Mitsuru Suzuhara (b. 1975): Chairman, former Principal at Yukinaga Boy's Academy
Tomoki Suzuhara (b. 1969): Vice Chair, former Principal at Suzuhara Middle School
Benkichi Suzuhara (b. 1970), former Principal at Suzuhara Elementary School
Himari Suzuhara (b. 1967)
Ema Suzuhara (b. 1972)
Kouga Suzuhara (b.1966)

Yukinaga Boy's Academy
Mamoru Suzuhara (b. 1996): Principal at Yukinaga Boy's Academy
Shinji Suzuhara (b. 2005): Chemistry Teacher

Shirahime Girl's Academy
Sumire Suzuhara (b. 2006): Principal at Shirahime Girl's Academy
Takuto Hashiba (b. 1995): School Doctor

Suzuhara Middle School
Akishi Suzuhara (b. 1980): Principal at Suzuhara Middle School

Suzuhara Elementary School
Wahito Suzuhara (b. 1977): Principal at Suzuhara Elementary School
Hinako Suzuhara (b. 2001): Social Studies teacher

Class of 2031 Top 10

Yukinaga Boy's Academy
1. Yuto Kumori. 995.
2. Taro Hisakawa. 994.
3. Masato Ohkawa. 992.*
4. Ran Komatsu. 991.*
5. Wataru Suzuhara. 990.+
6. Koji Nishio.  989.*
7. Asato Nakajima.  987.*
8. Kazuma Gosenkugi. 985.
9. Genji Shimada. 982.*
10. Natsuo Daikoji. 980.

Shirahime Girl's Academy
1. Mai Takasoto. 1000.
2. Tsubaki Ito. 997.*
3. Natsumi Kumori. 994.
4. Bachiko Yamamoto. 994.
5. Kotoko Imai. 991.*
6. Ani Yagani. 990.*
7. Junko Maekawa. 989.+
8. Hoshiko Nimura. 985.*
9. Kisa Sakada. 981.*
10. Ryoko Arachi. 980.

(*): students who took the scholarship
(+): family members of faculty exempt from tuition fees.

Students who got perfect scores on the entrance exam:
Yukinaga Suzuhara (Yukinaga class of 1952)
Maki Tsukada (Shirahime class of 1952)
Kaori Suzuhara (Shirahime class of 1960)
Zerin Sugimoto (Shirahime class of 1963)
Ikunori Daikoji (Yukinaga class of 1970)
Tatsuro Suzuhara (Yukinaga class of 1972)
Fuka Abe (Shirahime class of 1977)
Hatsuko Suzuhara (Shirahime class of 1981)
Himari Suzuhara (Shirahime class of 1985)
Mitsuru Suzuhara (Yukinaga class of 1993)
Hachisuka Okabe (Yukinaga class of 1995)
Sakura Suzuhara (Shirahime class of 1995)
Hansuke Gosenkugi (Yukinaga class of 2002)
Bashira Sugimoto (Shirahime class of 2002)
Mamoru Suzuhara (Yukinaga class of 2014)
Hinako Suzuhara (Shirahime class of 2019)
Iori Maeda (Yukinaga class of 2019)
Junichiro Arachi (Yukinaga class of 2022)
Mai Takasoto (Shirahime class of 2031)