Chapter Twelve

'I need help.'

Kiminobu didn't know how one simple text could end up undoing his whole world, but it did. Now as he sat on his bed, watching the boy sleeping on the floor in his spare futon curled in a fetal position, he fully understood the depths of how much that one message had change...everything.

I love him.

He felt foolish and embarrassed. Kiminobu had never given much thought to his own sexuality; he had no life outside of work and he was content with things being that way. Itsuki Kiminiro however upended everything. The angry and anguished boy who was only a year younger than him had awakened...feelings that he never considered or felt. Kiminobu felt foolish for feeling so strongly so quickly because he hadn't known Itsuki for long. And in the time he had known Itsuki he had seen the other boy at nothing but his worst. But...

Kiminobu had...known that his feelings for Itsuki were evolving in a short period of time. He had known that he had started to feel more for Itsuki than one would feel for a colleague or a friend. But when Itsuki sent him that text, and didn't respond to Kiminobu's replies—no response to his texts or phone calls—the panic that Kiminobu felt had been the most intense sensation he had ever experienced. He had started hyperventilating, and when he explained the situation to Osamu and Keon, he nearly fainted where he stood. His parents had been ready to call both the police and an ambulance—the police for Itsuki and an ambulance for Kiminobu—when Itsuki finally responded. The relief Kiminobu had felt when he saw that text had been incredible, and the drastic shift in emotions inside of him nearly made him burst into tears.

That was when he knew. Kiminobu didn't just like Itsuki Kiminobu. This troubled, beautiful boy with his wounded heart...he loved him. He loved Itsuki Kiminiro...and he hated himself for loving him.

He has suffered so much in such a short period of time, Kiminobu thought, continuing to watch the other boy sleep. I have never seen him at his best. Only his worst. Love has been a constant source of pain for him, but...but I can't help but love him.

Kiminobu closed his eyes and finally turned away. He felt unclean and disgusted in himself for falling in love with someone when they were in a period of brokenness. Itsuki was hurt by a vicious ex-boyfriend who only sought to use him, and now tonight he was hurt by his parents when he came out to them. Itsuki came to Kiminobu at this awful time because he trusted Kiminobu.

But...

Kiminobu shook his head and carefully crawled out of bed. He was careful to not make any noise and slid out of his bedroom. He heard muted voices in the living room, which quickly silenced when he came into the room. It was a familiar scene of seeing his parents talking and sitting together, and they both looked up when he entered. "Kiminobu, try to get some sleep," Osamu told him quietly. "Kiminiro-kun's parents will be here in the morning to get him."

Kiminobu nodded stiffly. His parents knew what had happened; when Kiminobu brought Itsuki to their apartment Itsuki had shocked Kiminobu by blurting out that he had a fight with his parents because he had come out. Osamu and Keon had been surprised by the proclamation but had given Itsuki quiet reassurance and the necessary space that he needed. They had called Rensei and Gaya and told them where Itsuki was, but had asked to let Itsuki be for the night and to come in the morning. Itsuki's parents agreed without argument.

But Kiminobu was still concerned. "Should we really let them come here?" he asked.

"They are Kiminiro-kun's parents," Keon said solemnly. "We cannot keep them from their son, Kiminobu."

Kiminobu ducked his head. "Come here," Keon beckoned him. Kiminobu walked over to them and they slid to the side to allow Kiminobu to sit between them. "Tell us what's wrong, Kiminobu."