Chapter Four

"Kiminobu, you're leaving for work already?"

"Yes, Haha." Kiminobu glanced up as he put his shoes on. "I promised Chichi that I would do the prep this morning."

"But prep doesn't start for another hour!" his mother, Keon, protested.

Kiminobu smiled at her. "It's okay. There's actually something I want to experiment with. A roll I saw from a recipe online. Don't worry, I purchased the ingredients myself and not from the izakaya's budget."

Keon shook her head at him and folded her arms over her chest. "You're working too hard, Kiminobu. Don't forget that you're only seventeen."

"Shinku no Hana will be mine someday, Haha. I may as well learn to take care of it early."

Kiminobu honestly didn't mind the work. He had been preparing and making sushi and sashimi rolls since before he could walk. Shinku no Hana was his father's pride and joy, and Kiminobu loved the restaurant as much as his father did. So much so that he didn't bother applying for high school and just went straight to work after graduating middle school. He didn't see the point in continuing his education when he was going to be inheriting the izakaya anyway when his father eventually retired.

The kitchen has been a better classroom for me anyways.

Outside the apartment, Kiminobu grabbed his bicycle and took off down the usual route he took every morning or afternoon, depending on what time his shift started. His family lived in Azabudai and not Roppungi, but it only took about 20 minutes to reach Shinku no Hana on bicycle. Traveling between work was one of the few times during the day that Kiminobu was completely by himself during the day, so he took the time to enjoy it.

Okay, so the recipe for the roll requires—

His train of thought was interrupted and he came to a complete stop when he saw a familiar boy on the sidewalk heading in the opposite direction of him, his head ducked forward and hugging his arms. He had dyed hair, and he wasn't wearing his blazer, but he recognized the school uniform. Anyone who saw the uniform would knew that this boy was a student of Yukinaga Boy's Academy, the most exclusive all-boy's high school in Japan.

But he knew this boy. He remembered the sullen-faced boy, eyes red from crying, who had sat at the counter of Shinku no Hana. Itsuki Kiminiro—that was what his father said the boy's name was. Kiminobu had felt immediate empathy for him and gave him free food—inarizushi. A very simple dish that he thought would make Itsuki feel better. Knowing that the boy was at Shinku no Hana to hide from police ultimately didn't change what Kiminobu thought of Itsuki. He hadn't looked shifty or suspicious when was eating. He looked lost and forlorn—like he wanted to scream to help but kept silent.

The empathy he had felt resurfaced, and he climbed off his bicycle. He walked with his bicycle and got onto the sidewalk, moving to catch up with the boy before he past. "Hey," he said softly.

Itsuki stopped briefly and looked up. The look in his eyes gave Kiminobu pause, and unnerved him greatly. The boy he had seen on Friday had felt so alone, and in need of saving. The boy who looked back at him now still felt alone—but his eyes were cold. Unfeeling. Like any and all positive emotions he had ever had were sapped from his body.

Itsuki said nothing, and continued walking. Kiminobu quickly shifted his bicycle to block his path. "I know you," he said quickly. "You came into my restaurant last week to hide from the police."

Itsuki remained silent. "What are you doing here?" Kiminobu asked him. "Today is a school day and there are truant officers around. You'll get into even bigger trouble if they catch you out of school like this."