Chapter Six

November 3rd, 2028

"Here you are, Kiminiro-kun," Osamu Saitō said, smiling a little as he slid the envelope across the desk towards Itsuki. "Your last paycheck. Thank you for your hard work."

"Thank you for taking care of Itsuki, Saitō-san," Gaya said, bowing slightly. "We apologize for imposing on your business, and you."

"It was no trouble at all, Kiminiro-san," Saitō responded. "Kiminiro-kun is a quick learner and my son was very complimentary towards him. Am I right, Kiminobu?"

"Yes, Chichi," Kiminobu responded. He was leaning against the west wall of Saitō's office, his arms folded over his chest.

"If I'm to be honest, I wasn't pleased to hear that Kiminiro-kun asked to work here during a school suspension," Saitō added. "But he worked well with others and was polite to customers. If necessary, I can write a letter to his homeroom teacher about his work here when he returns to school."

"Itsuki returns to school on Monday," Gaya said. "And we would greatly appreciate such a letter."

How about asking me what I want? Itsuki fumed silently.

"If I may also add," Saitō said. "For the entire time Kiminiro-kun worked here...not once have I seen him smile. And while he was respectful, he gave short responses to both myself, Kiminobu, and even the customers. It is none of my business, but..." Saitō looked at Itsuki. "It is only an observation that we made."

Itsuki's hands clenched into fists into his lap. "...I was unhappy about my suspension, Saitō-san," he said quietly. "That is all."

"If you are interested in working here again, please give us a call, Kiminiro-kun," Saitō said. "You have Kiminobu's cell phone number, don't you?"

"Ah, yes, Saitō-san," Itsuki said. "He's texting me my schedule before. Right Sa—Kiminobu-san?"

Kiminobu nodded. "If you need anything, just send me a text Itsuki-kun."

Itsuki stared at him surprised, but then Gaya grabbed his arm and pulled him to his feet. "Thank you again, Saitō-san. We've troubled you enough, so we'll be on our way now—"

"I had one more question," Itsuki said, giving a little resistance to Gaya pulling on his arm.

"Yes, Kiminiro-kun?" Saitō asked.

Itsuki looked at Kiminobu. "Could you text me a link to the shop you bought your bike from, Kiminobu-san? I-I was thinking of using a bike for transportation."

"Itsuki, you haven't ridden a bike in four years!" Gaya exclaimed.

Itsuki gritted his teeth. Thanks for reminding me, Mom.

"But that's not a bad idea," Gaya said, nodding. "Your father and I won't have a problem with you  riding a bicycle to school until the weather gets too bad."

"I'll send you the link later, Itsuki-kun," Kiminobu said. He managed a small smile. "Don't be a stranger."

"I agree," Saitō said. "We would love to see you again, Kiminiro-kun."

"Thank you, Saitō-san."

*

Kiminobu lingered in the office after Itsuki left with his mother. He glanced at his father. "Chichi—"

"Something is troubling that boy," Osamu said, shaking his head. He looked at Kiminobu. "What is your assessment of him?"

"He's extremely guarded," Kiminobu said. "He thought his suspension was unfair, but he—I don't know—he seemed a little melancholy, didn't he? Something is bothering him, and I think it's deeper than just getting suspended from school."