II. Broken Barriers

**AUTHORS NOTE**

Hey all! I hope you liked last week's chapter!  I am currently working with another writer/editor on this story!  Thank you peachy_femme for your help!! Go give them some love!

*TRIGGER WARNINGS** For this chapter, there are MURDER DETAILS, GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION OF CORPSE, MENTIONS OF SA, DOMESTIC VIOLENCE REFERENCES, AND DISMEMBERMENT. (If I miss a trigger please let me know asap!!) You have been warned, please enjoy!!

***********************************************************************************************

*CHAPTER II*

"They didn't miss anything. They killed themselves!" She screamed, bursting into tears and shaking. Nas got up to provide possible comfort, but as he stood up, Des's mysterious guest came rushing into the room.

He almost immediately recognized them, though it had been some time since they'd last seen each other. "Good to see you, Detective Bevan."

She shot him a glare and rushed over to where Des stood. Detective Kaine Bevan was 6'2", with red hair the color of dark cherries, green eyes like a cat, and the temperament of one as well. She was an intimidating figure, to say the least. She was only wearing a pair of baggy pants and a brassiere, showing off her toned muscles and the many scattered scars in the shape of gunshots and stab wounds.

She was looking over Des's bleeding hands and trying to calm her sobs. Nas was beginning to put a few pieces together but it only made the couple look more suspicious.

"If you came here to berate Cardinal's grieving friend because you think we aren't doing a good enough job, you can fuck right off Nas!" Bevan shouted, she turned and shoved her finger in his face. "You have no business here."

"Funny, I was about to say the same about you." He said darkly. They had run into each other the first time Thanasis had stumbled into town, and the now Detective was just a new recruit. A killer had been running amuck in the city and Bevan had blamed him for the whole thing. The murders had been a second vampire that Nas had also been trying to catch, whoever it was made a mess. It drew in a ton of vampire hunters and made him the suspect in a series of horrendous crimes.

To some extent, Bevan still believed he'd done it but the vampire hunter had murdered the real culprit that made the whole thing look like an accident. The evidence quickly pointed to the dead vampire as the murderer. The only positive that came out of the investigation was seeing firsthand that vampires turned back into humans in the mortal realm. It was a startling experience and almost frightening in a way.

All the same, Nas was sure deep down in her rotten gut, she thought he was guilty.

"It's not what it looks like. I know it looks bad but I-" Des was interrupted by Bevan holding her hand up.

"You don't need to explain yourself to him! He shouldn't be sticking his nose where it doesn't fucking belong!" Bevan spit out.

"So I'm not allowed to investigate a friend's suspicious death? Shouldn't you be, I don't know, not fucking witnesses?!" He felt bad when Des looked down and blushed, but Thanasis was getting ticked off now.

He didn't have the time or patience and he'd rather be investigating the body before it was mysteriously removed from whichever sketchy mortician they'd dropped them with.

"I think he deserves an explanation, Kaine." Des put her hand on the Detective's arm and looked her sadly in the eye. Nas just sighed and headed towards the door. "Wait! Nas!"