I Was A Teenage Abomination

"Well Hunter, did you ever think you'd see something as breathtaking as this?" Lilith nudges my arm and seems to burst with excitement. We're all standing on a beach looking at some sort of dead slug. I can't help but gag and Kikimora does too.

"I don't like this," I shake my head and plug my nose as Lilith pulls me closer to her.

"Yes, it doesn't get much more inspiring than the trash slug. It makes a home, a life from what others have thrown by the wayside. Until, blam, it gets blasted by a wave one day and croaks from all the salt. And then we get to sell all the stuff it ate," she takes out a pickaxe and hands tries to hand it to me.

"Please don't make me," I shudder with the thought of having to dig through such a thing.

"Oh come on Hunter, it's not every day you get to go to the dump and pick apart a trash carcass," the sarcasm is evident in her voice as she unfurls her towel.

"Aw, nuts to you both," Lilith swings the pick-axe at the trash slug.

"So, Lilith. What if we tried some new lessons for my apprenticeship? Like..." I think of all the many things we could do instead of this, "read ancient scrolls or mix together potions, or..." but I barely get to finish because Lilith interrupts me, "Ugh. That sounds like a bunch of magic school stuff."

"Wait. Is there a magic school here? Like winding towers, cute uniforms, dark plots that threaten your life, kind of magic school?" I can't believe they have magic schools here. That was only the stuff I would dream about.

"Mm-hmm. What's worse, they force you to learn magic the 'proper' way. But magic isn't proper. It's wild and unpredictable. And that's why it's so beautiful. I didn't finish school and look at me. Who wouldn't envy where I am right now," I look at her. She's standing in a pile of trash with flies surrounding her. I try to look down and avoid answering the question. Lilith notices the discomfort in me, "Uh... hey here's a lesson. A great witch is resourceful, like this," she takes my hand and digs it around in some weird, slimy pile of goop. I take it out after I have picked up something.

"Oh, hey. Greasy slime ball," I gag and turn around from it.

"Use your slime ball wisely, young witch. Back at it! We'll hit the stink nodes first," she picks her pick-axe off the ground and starts walking back towards the trash slug.

"Actually if it's okay, I think I'll head home and look at pictures of animals that are still alive," I pick myself off the ground and wave to Kikimora, "bye Kiki."

"More for me then," I hear Lilith say as I make my way through the woods towards the Raven House.

"Ugh! If magic is all about digging for slime balls, maybe I don't have the stomach for it," I shove the ball into my hood pocket, when I hear a voice talking a little ahead.

"You can do it! You can!" I hear the voice shout. I think out loud how this could be a mysterious voice of encouragement. But when I push the bushes open I see a little witch girl leaning against a wall. She's short but only slightly shorter than me. And she looks like she could be 14, maybe even 15. Her hair is a light brown and her eyes are almost golden. She gets up from where she's standing and continues talking to herself, "You can do it. Even if you get a bad grade, it's not a reflection of you as a witch. And maybe mom and dad are right. There are great opportunities in this track. No, who am I kidding. I hate plant magic. And I'm never going to get better at it,"

I lean in to get a closer look at this girl but I accidentally stumble out of my hiding place. I fall to the ground with a loud grunt.

The girl looks a little frightened by me and I feel a little bad for her, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to spook you," but she quickly shuts me up and pushes me back into the underbrush. I hear someone walking in the distance. Getting closer and closer with every passing step.