The Third Wheel

Dot

No one ever talks about the third wheel. In storybooks, we're always the best friend of lovers who cast us aside when necessary for them, or the bumbling henchmen of a villain who has no need for us past attaining their goal. We're ignored, cast out, and most of all, expendable.

I knew this when I befriended (well, not quite) Hester and Anadil, knew I was the odd one out. But being the idiot I was, I assumed that even witches could be loyal. I believed that they considered me their friend too. But it seemed that our coven arrangement was only for their convenience.

Before long, I stopped pounding on the door. They weren't coming back for me. I considered my options. I couldn't go to another Never. The only Never (besides Hester and Anadil) who had tolerated me, even liked me, was Hort. He understood what it was like to be cast aside and ignored. But he was loyal to Sophie, the witch who had cast me out of my own coven. He loved her more than he cared for me. If it involved her, he wouldn't help me.

There was one other option. If I was caught, I could be failed. But it was the only plan I had. Silently, I made my way to the sewers, through the passage that no Evers knew about...