The Witch of Woods Beyond

All around, I thought this might be the worst day of my life. Of course Sophie had to come in, warty and terrifying, and murderer all of the wolves and fairies (Who I’d just begun to like). Of course she had to destroy half of the school with a screech so loud and so shrill, I’m quite sure I’ll be partially deaf for the rest of my life. And of course Hester and Anadil didn’t even look at me for the entire Circus of Talents (that’s of lesser importance though, obviously).

As soon as the Theater was erased, us villains fled up the Honor staircase. Some tripped me and I fell, crawling up the stairs as I was trampled by the mob.

“Dot!” someone shouted. I looked around, wondering who could possibly be talking to me. Then I saw Hester dangling from the side of the glass banister, her fingers slipping from the edge. “Dot, help!”

I glared. “Sorry, I only help roommates.”

“Dot, please!”

“I live in a toilet! You girls are bullies and bad friends and—”

“DOT!” 

But just as her hand slipped, I caught it, hauling her onto the stairs. I guess I’m really not that Evil. We stopped for a moment, catching our breath. I looked back at Hester and was surprised to see something like…guilt?

“Look, Dot—”

Another shriek exploded windows, causing glass to fly in all directions. I dove out of the way, barely missing a large chunk of glass slicing past my head. I noticed Anadil running up the stairs near me, hands shielding her head. Apparently Hester did too, as she grabbed both of our arms and hauled us the rest of the way onto the fourth floor.

“Need…to find…help,” I panted.

“But how?” Anadil asked, gesturing to the chaos below.

Hester took off down the hallway, the two of us on her heels. “The Circus Crown was given!” she yelled. 

“Well I guess we could do it that way,” Anadil muttered.

Hester flung open a door marked ‘faculty,’ preparing to let out another yell. She paused, frowning at the empty room. “Where are they?”

We swerved around the corner and found out. Good’s teachers were frozen midrun, startled expressions on their faces. 

“Hester…” Anadil pointed outside. Hester and I followed her eyes out of the window. 

All of the Evil’s teachers were similarly frozen on the Halfway bridge, mouths wide open as if they had been ambushed by a spell on their way to help.

“Can we revive them?” I asked, voice quivering. “It’s just a stun spell.”

“It isn’t a stun spell.” Anadil tapped on Professor Dovey’s skin, which made a thin, hollow sound. 

“Petrification,” Hester recalled quietly. “Only the one who casted the spell can reverse it.”

“But who?”

“Someone who doesn’t want teachers interfering,” said Anadil, eyeing the tower across the bay.

My eyes widened. “But—that means—”

“We’re on our own.”