War

Anadil

It's a strange thing, the heat of battle. You're only focused on your next breath, only focused on staying alive as you slash and parry, hex and curse. But when there's someone you care about, their life becomes tied to yours. Every breath they draw is your life force, and seems to matter even more than your own. You see, I wasn't fighting for a cause. I wasn't fighting for Sophie, nor was I fighting for Tedros and his prissy Evers. I was fighting for my life, for Hester's and for Dot's.

That's when the rats came charging in, that blasted cupid at their reins. They were the size of horses now; large, red eyed, and blood thirsty. Within moments, there were bodies on the ground, victims of their claws and teeth. Their eyes were fierce, but deep inside them I could see their fear. After all, they were still rats. My rats.

I still remember the day they came into my life. It had been winter, nearing the anniversary of my mother's death; the night the man-wolves mournfully howled at the moon, and I was forced to grieve for someone I barely remembered.

Never families are like dandelions, Lady Lesso had told us. Fleeting and toxic.

I'd say. My father left when I was born, and my mother was mortally wounded in a hasty battle she hadn't been ready for. Some act as if she was a war hero, but I know the truth, told to me by the whispers of servants. She was bitter and certainly reckless.

Lucie didn't share those sentiments. She was my short, rather plump governess with rosy cheeks and eyes too kind for a Never. In some ways, she reminded me of Dot.

"Don't speak ill of Lady Absinthe," she would say. "Your mother was a close friend of mine. I knew who she truly was." Whatever my mother 'truly' was, I didn't think I'd find out.

Wanting to get away from the whispers that shot my way around this time of year, I'd begun to stalk into the oldest parts of the manor, the parts with little insulation, wind and snow whittling through its cracks. I felt strangely at peace here, without the usual stress upon my shoulders. That's where the rats come in.

I'd seen them a few times, heard them too; small shadows across the floor. I'd leave little bits of bread and cheese, hoping to lure them out. And the day I did was the day I made my only friends. They were the ones I'd talk to when weakness struck. They were the only ones who'd ever seen me cry. And they helped me through Lucie's death.

Now they were different, yet so was I. But when I looked into their scarlet eyes, the same shade as my own, I could see that they were the same terrified rodents I'd lured out of the shadows as a child. That's when the first rat fell, heart driven through by an Ever's spear. The second was next, then the third, the familiar light in their eyes fading away.

Before I knew it I was running to their side, pushing through fighting students and forcibly hexing anyone who dared to approach me. But I was too late.

Their blood poured onto the cobblestones of the courtyard, only one still gasping for breath. Hand shaking, I put her out of her misery and collapsed over her body, shaking with the sobs I'd been holding back for years.

The next thing I remember was pain and the sound of crumbling rock. Blood ran into my eyes. I didn't bother to wipe it away.

"Ani!" The voice sounded like it was coming from far away. Too far. "Ani!"

Warm arms wrapped around me, dragging me away from the carnage. When the screams died away, I came to my senses. I could feel the forbidden tears itching at my eyes, could smell the iron reek of blood.

"Ani!"

My eyes shot open. I'd hardly realized they'd been closed.

"Hester." Her brow was furrowed in worry as she held a bit of ripped uniform to my head, staunching the bleeding.

I blinked back the tears. "Hey, I'm sure it's not that bad," I reassured, trying to stop my voice from shaking. "Head wounds often appear worse than they are."

Hester huffed, continuing to wipe the blood from my forehead.

"I'm sorry," she blurted, making eye contact before quickly glancing away.

"Sorry?" I repeated, thinking I might be delirious from blood loss. "What for?"

Hester snorted. "What for? I lost my temper. I let the witch out of her confinement. I let her get into my head. For whatever reason, those idiot students look up to me. And I'm the one who's doomed us all."

"That's a bit dramatic, isn't it?" I batted her hand away, standing up. The world spun around me, and I would've fallen again if Hester hadn't caught me. I was suddenly aware of the puddle of blood on the floor. Perhaps my head injury was worse than I had thought. "We can still fix this."

I felt Hester tense against me. "But how?"

Over Hester's shoulder, I noticed a small shape through the fog, feet slipping as she climbed the School Master's tower.

"Well, we can start by helping the main character of this fairy tale."