A Question of Friendship

Hester

Dot and I left Anadil in the Mischief hall as soon as we made our way back to Evil, splitting up to find Sophie before she could do any more damage. I'm not sure what we thought we could do, but we had to try.

"Hey," I said as Anadil left, catching her arm. "Stay safe, okay?"

"With Sophie? I doubt it." Right now, even she looks a bit scared. We're at the climax of a real fairy tale now, and there's no going back. "But good luck." She met Dot's eyes, then mine. "But if anyone can stop her, it's us. We're the coven of Room 66, remember?"

Dot's mouth stretches into a wide smile. Then, suddenly, she pulls both of us into a tight hug. "We can do this," she whispers, and somehow I can tell she's talking about more than finding Sophie. After a long moment, we pull away, each taking a deep breath.

"You guys ready to go witch hunting?" I ask with a grin.

Anadil grins back, meeting my eyes. "As ready as we'll ever be."

***

"When terrible things happen, my mother always said 'Find what's good in it,'" I puffed, sprinting past petrified Castor and Beezle through mischief hall.

"When terrible things happen, my daddy always said 'eat,'" Dot panted, trying to keep up. We slammed into Mona and Arachne, who were coming from the opposite direction.

"Go to your room!" I yelled. "Don't come out!"

Spooked, the two girls fled inside and locked the door.

As we ran down the stairs, we saw Hort, Ravan, and Vex in the hall below.

"Go to your room!" Dot shouted. "Don't come out!"

The boys looked at her, then at me.

"Now!" I barked, and the boys scurried away.

"Suppose I'm a henchman," pouted Dot. "Then we won't be in the same classes next year."

"If there's even a school left," I said grimly. Not finding Sophie anywhere on this side of the school, we turned to run back through the stairwell.

"I can think of one good thing," huffed Dot. "No homework."

I skidded to a stop, the gravity of the situation crashing down on me. "Dot, we're not prepared for a real witch. We're first years!"

"Dot laid a hand on my shoulder. "It's Sophie. The same girl who likes perfume and pink. We just need to calm her down."

Despite myself, I cracked a smile. "You know, sometimes we don't give you enough credit."

Dot smiled back, walking ahead. "Come on. Maybe Anadil found her."

I followed behind, a warm feeling in my chest. I know I sound like the worst sort of Ever, but maybe our Never ancestors were wrong about friendship. Maybe that's why they failed. Knowing you can trust someone, knowing you can rely on someone makes you stronger than closing yourself off. I'd be dead already, or at least far down in that inevitable pit of despair if it weren't for Dot and Anadil. I know I can't stop Sophie on my own, but maybe, with my friends by my side, we'll have a chance.

Author's Note: So sorry, I did not realise I didn't post the most recent chapters on Wattpad!