16 - Not All Is Lost

★ ★ ★

Alesia had led a nomadic life for a long time, so she did not find it difficult to find her place in the rebel camp. Moreover, she knew the pain of the many children and young people and enjoyed sharing some of her strength with them.

And Esai—Esai was there again.

That made up for so much. Everything, actually.

She saw her daughter blossom now that she could spend time with her father.

Seeing her family finally become a real family also reminded her of her own brother. She had understood from Gilly that he was back with the Mayans and that he had really said goodbye to the drugs this time.

Maybe it was time to let that wound heal too.

Later that week, she stepped into a quiet coffee shop. It surprised her that she wasn't even that nervous. The same couldn't be said about him—as soon as she saw her brother, she saw the doubt in his eyes.

"Neron..." She wrapped her arms around the man who was now going through life as Creeper.

"Alesia..." Frantically he held her. "I'm so... relieved you got in touch."

She smiled softly. "It was time."

Neron lowered his gaze. "Yes. I'm sorry I've been such a lousy brother to you. That you were so alone. I lost myself."

"I'm sorry I never tried harder to help you. I was so angry with you. It was because of your debts... that... that..." Alesia took a deep breath.

"That's not true, Alesia," Neron said softly. "That drug dealers were not there for me."

Confused, she looked up. "What do you mean?"

"I didn't want you to know, to think differently about mum and dad. And I regret that because that's why we lost each other."

Her gaze scanned his face. She had no idea what he wanted to say next.

"Dad and mum ran a cartel themselves. A drug cartel. They wanted to get out, but their partners... didn't think that was such a good idea. That's why they wanted to get rid of them."

Speechless, Alesia stared at her brother. Was that really true? Her parents— did they run a cartel? Then it had nothing to do with Neron's drug addiction at all?

"I thought... all these years I've been angry about your addiction. Because the club abandoned you and that led to the death of our parents."

Neron shook his head, sighing. "No, the club had nothing to do with it. They offered me a lot of support to help me get rid of my addiction... but I was the one who refused help. In the end, they had no choice but to let me go. But mum and dad's death... they had nothing to do with that."

Alesia swallowed.

The Mayans were not responsible for the death of her parents, nor the scar that marked her face. Nor were they responsible for Esai's death.

She rubbed her forehead. It was a lot to process.

The hatred that had driven her for years ... it was now falling away.

She felt an infinite emptiness—though that emptiness faded a little now that she saw her brother. She had her brother back. She had Esai back. She had Gilly—even Angel she could get back.

Nothing was lost.

There was a whole lot she could get back, though. 

★ ★ ★

Hey all, this was the final chapter. Thank you for reading! 

I know there's a lot of potential to add more drama, but I kinda outgrew the SOA/Mayans fandom and I wanted to wrap things up. Sorry if things felt hurried, but a hurried ending felt better than no ending at all. ;) 

I do have a whole bunch of other (finished) SOA/Mayans fanfics which I believe are of better quality, so maybe you'll enjoy these too. :)