10 - Breaking Hearts

★ ★ ★

Marcus lifted his son from the ground and carried him to the van which was equipped with ambulance equipment. He had chosen a quiet corner of the park close to an abandoned parking lot once you walked through the bushes. He looked down at Esai's pale face. Blood dripped down Marcus' forearm, but he was convinced the boy would make it. 

The doors of the van already opened once he stepped from between the trees. Marcus handed his son to two paramedics whose help he had bought before. 

The stash of medicines that Happy's mother needed to stay alive, which were scarce and expensive, were the only reason the Son had agreed with his plan. Marcus thought this would start to gnaw at him after some time, but he had made his choice. They both had. Happy kept his mother alive for a few more years, and Marcus prevented his son from dying at 24. 

It had been a club decision. Everyone except Esai knew about it. A decision that had been hard to make, but which was better than killing him. He however wouldn't get a funeral; the outside world would believe that he was a traitor whose body was shoved into an oven. 

With a heavy heart he thought of his wife. He wished he could have involved her in this plan, but he lacked faith in her acting skills. If she failed to really mourn the death of her son, the Sons might start to think that Esai is still alive. The debt caused by the failed murder attempt on Clay Morrow wouldn't be settled, which would cause a gang war and the end of their gun trade. 

And so, his boy had to leave the country. He would get a second chance there. But without his girlfriend, without the club. He felt sorry for his daughter-in-law, but he knew people would get suspicious if she disappeared as well, or when she wasn't convincing enough during her grieving period. 

One day, she would fall in love again, as would Esai. 

If he survived. It might not have been a fatal wound, but the doctors were still treating him and neither of them had convinced him that his son would be fine. 

Nervously, he waited. 

★ ★ ★

"He will survive."

Marcus had returned to the park to sit and wait on a bench. One of the paramedics sat down next to him. He'd wanted to give them some room; four people inside that small van had been too much. 

Marcus nodded. He knew what it meant. It was time to say goodbye. In silence he followed the other. 

"Is  he responsive?"

"He's conscious."

Marcus knew it would be hard to look into Esai's eyes. Starting all over in a strange country... It was going to be difficult. But at least he would be alive. And his son was strong — he would survive. 

Opening the car doors, he climbed into the van. Esai was lying on a stretcher, looking at him with confused eyes. 

"I'm sorry, mijo," Marcus said, kneeling down next to the boy. "This is the only way to reconcile with the Sons. Because of your failed attempt to kill both Clay and Darby, you left me no choice. Everyone will believe you're dead."

"W-what?" he whimpered. 

"These men will take you to Mexico, to an acquaintance of one of them. They owed me a favor. You can't come back. Ever."

The dazed look in his eyes broke his heart and he took a deep breath. He couldn't let the emotions take over now. This was the way it had to be. This was the only way. 

"A-Alesia?" he mumbled. 

"She will believe that you're dead."

"But — but my kid..."

Kid? 

Marcus stared at his son. "She's pregnant?"

Esai closed his eyes. Once he opened them again, a tear slipped down his cheek. "Yeah," he said in a hoarse voice. 

Marcus cursed himself. He'd never counted on that. "I make sure they will be fine."

Whether he would really succeed in doing so, he wasn't sure. She had seen him — as had been his intention. He needed a reliable witness. She would never trust him again, and telling her the truth was too risky. There was too much at stake. 

"For how long?" his son murmured. 

"Forever, Esai. You will have to build a new life. I know you can do it. You are my son."

Esai said nothing. Just stared at him, eyes wide in disbelief. 

Marcus could no longer bear his gaze. This was the only solution. 

"Once she knows the truth, she will be in danger. The Sons will believe she knew about the conspiracy. You can never contact her, Esai. Never. You will endanger the life of everyone you contact."

Esai was still silent, seemed to be in shock. 

"Why didn't you kill me?" he whispered eventually. 

His words felt like the stab of a knife. "Because you're stronger than you think," he answered. "And because you deserve a second chance."

Leaning forward, he laid a kiss on the boy's forehead. 

Then, he left, closing the door behind him. 

Going home to break another heart.

★ ★ ★

___

If you enjoyed this chapter and you want to support me as a writer, it would mean the world to me if you'd leave a comment, vote and follow my profile ♥