19

I could still hear Dad and Tyler yelling at each other despite covering my ears trying to shut it out. I heard my bedroom door open then the yelling stopped and I heard the door click, I felt a dip in the mattress and the soft fabric of one of my blankets. "I'm sorry" I heard Tyler whisper behind me as he rested the side of his head on my shoulder, "you're shaking" he whispered as he rubbed my arm. He tried squeezing my hand and reassuring me that it was okay but by body had other plans. "Breathe please it's okay you're safe" he whispered making me shake my head, "lie down sis" he said as he guided me down lying next to me.

He gently and slowly rubbed my back trying to comfort me, the smell of his after shave smelt fresh and a light scent. I felt Tyler gently squeeze and continue rubbing my back gently brushing his finger tips along my spine every once in a while. I could still hear dad and Theresa arguing down stairs, covering my hands over my ears to block out the yelling. "Shhh it's okay" Tyler soothed as I pulled up the covers. The yelling soon stopped and I looked up at Tyler who just pulled me closer to him. "I don't regret being suspended for you" he whispered as ran his fingers through the ends of my hair. I woke up in the middle of the night with Tyler still holding on to me, he was so warm. He stirred a little tightening his grip and pulling me in closer, beads of sweat dripped down his forehead as his eyes squinted and his nose crinkled.

Another nightmare he had been having them a lot lately, brushing the back of my finger against his stubble on his chin and up his cheek. His eyes relaxed and his expression entirely, "I'm right here Ty" I whispered enough that he wouldn't wake up.eventually I went back to sleep nuzzling my face between the pillow and his bicep. I woke a few hours later to just me in the bed but the sound of the tv playing downstairs, dad and Theresa must've already left for work so it was just me and Tyler home. Getting up and walking downstairs seeing Tyler in the living room lying on the couch with just sweats on, "morning" I greeted and he looked back and smiled, "good morning" he said. "What are you watching?" I asked walking around to the kitchen, "NFL" he answered. "No specific team?" I asked sniffling a giggle, "New York of course just gotta support the New York giants as a New Yorker" he replied laughing.

"I'm bored" I groaned as I waited for my toast to pop out of the toaster, "you only just woke up" he said grinning. "Yes but I'm bored" I protested to which Tyler turned around leaning over the back of the couch, "paint, draw, go for a walk or watch football with me" he suggested. "First of all do we even have paint, pencils or paper, number two it's raining outside and three watching football is boring" i said getting out the toast and spreading Nutella. "Hey least I offered" he said putting his hands up, "they weren't very good offers" i said and he rolled his eyes. "Well either that or go back to bed" he said turning the volume up again, I sat at the bench eating breakfast with a glass of orange juice whilst I scrolled on my phone.

"What are you doing later?" Tyler asked as he changed the channel to something else, "nothing why?" I asked in response. "I have judo later wanna come?" He asked as he leaned back stretching backwards over the couch. "You gonna teach me some moves?" I asked as I took a bite, "yea I'll teach you what I call red rum" he said. "Have you even had a drink of rum in your life?" I asked and he shrugged, "I've had wine at Nona's" he said and I shook my head. "That's two different drinks silly" I said and he poked his tongue out, "it's still alcohol" he said crossing his arms over his chest. "Okay geez" I said finishing my toast and washing my plate, "you drank before?" He asked and I instantly shook my head. "You're joking?" He asked and I shook my head again. "We gotta change that right now" he said hopping off the couch and coming into the kitchen, "are you crazy we'll be in massive trouble" i said as I watched him go to the cabinet.

"No we won't calm down" he told me as he opened the doors and looked through the different wine labels. "Here it is red wine" he said taking out the bottle, "again are you crazy?" I asked and he poured a small glass each. "Cmon cheers me and try it" he said holing two tiny glasses half filled, I took on glass cheesing him and closed my eyes and I took a sip, the concentrated taste of cranberry. Scrunching my nose as I finished the glass and Tyler did to only he seemed relaxed, "what's the verdict?" He asked poking me on the shoulder. "Not my cup of tea" i said and he looked at me oddly, "it's not even tea" he said pushing his hair back. "You need a hair cut" i said and he immediately shook his head, "no I like it long" he said pushing hair away from his eyes.

"At least a trim" i said and he thought about it as he narrowed his eyes at me, "fine but just a trim" he agreed. "Can I do it?" I asked and he was hesitant, "fine just don't go to short" he warned, "I'll make you bald" I joked and he jolted. "Fuck no you're not making me bald" he said scared like someone was gonna threaten to choke slam him. "I swear you cut it shorter than a trim I will fight you" he said half heartedly, "yea and you'd let me win" I answered sarcastically as I found a spray bottle in the pantry to fill with water. "Alright you got the scissors?" I asked as I got the bottle and found a comb, "as ready as I'll ever be" he said making his way outside and me following after him.

"Don't cut a lot" he said as he sat in the chair and I rolled my eyes, "quit panicking I haven't even got the scissors in my hands yet" i said as I began dampening his hair and he squirmed at each spray. "Stop squirming" I said and he leaned back, "it's cold you'd squirm too" he said as he squirmed once again. "Would not" I argued as I took some hair between my two fingers and started snipping away, "you started?" He asked opening one eye. "Yes I've started cutting" i said and he tensed, "relax I know what I'm doing" I reassured. "Do you really?" He asked and I nodded, "I've cut my own hair before and I did an alright job" i said as I took another strand section. "Okay if you said so" he said as he twiddled his thumbs as I parted his hair to cut the top ends. Trimming his fringe and sides as I dusted away the stray hairs off his neck and his shoulders.

"That's itchy" he complained as I dusted off the strays, "well it's hair" I said. As I trimmed a little more and cleaned up a bit, "all done now go shower" i said using the towel to get the rest of the fallen hairs off his neck. I cleaned and sweeped out side whilst Tyler had a shower to wash his hair and the hairs off, once I finished I cleaned up the kitchen then sat on the couch watching some tv. A few minutes later Tyler came out in fresh close and his freshly cut hair towel dried, "feel better?" I asked looking over the back of the couch. "Yes thank you" he said hanging his towel outside and then coming in to lie on the couch. He shuffled up resting his head on my legs, "you comfy there?" I asked as I flicked through the tv channels. "Yes very muc-" Tyler said before being interrupted by the phone ringing.