day 23 - pitching tents

Bobby can practically feel the rain seeping into his bones as he stares out the window. He's been in Spain for weeks now, and it's only ever rained at night, leaving traces of wetness in the morning but not putting a damper on anyone's day.

It's a stark reminder of what he's got waiting for him back in Glasgow. One week left, and then it'll be back home, where the rain is like this but even colder, wetter, and seemingly never-ending. He doesn't miss it. Although he was born and raised in Scotland, his Jamaican blood has never quite embraced it the way so many others do. He barely even tolerates it. It always makes him a little sad, and he doesn't like being sad.

Despite the fact their days in the villa are often spent silently complaining about there being nothing to do but lounge in the sun and chat, having even that activity stripped away from them is a kick in the teeth. There's nothing for them to do inside. No games, no telly, no books, no nothing. At least when the sun is shining, the boredom doesn't seem so bad. Everything is better when the sun is out.

Maybe he can get Lottie to read his tea leaves. He looks around the lounge, where the others are sprawled out on the couches and the floor, only to remember that she's no longer there. Dumped as part of the previous night's recoupling, and all because of him. He feels bad that it was his choice that sent Lottie and Shannon packing, but he couldn't let Tess go. She's been one of his closest friends since the start, and it's his own fault that she's not still in a happy couple with Lucas.

Besides, as much as he loves Lottie, he knows she would've been toxic if she were allowed to stay in the villa, watching Gary and Chelsea's relationship blossom. It wouldn't have been healthy for her or them, so it's for the best that she's gone. And the same for Shannon, who lost Rahim to Jo and was none too happy about having her plans spoiled.

A soft laugh distracts him from the window, and he glances over at one of the sofas to see Elisa lounging across it with her head in Lucas's lap. It makes his stomach twist to see them looking into each other's eyes and smiling, just like it did when Lucas gave his recoupling speech the night before. It pained him to watch the man he was falling in love with choose someone else, especially when he was in the possession of knowledge that would prevent Lucas from picking her. If only he had the courage to share her secret and his, and put an end to this farce.

The worst part about it, though, was Lucas's speech. The way he looked straight at Bobby when he said that he knew Elisa could do better than him, but he hoped she would accept him anyway. Talk about twisting a knife.

And now they're acting like the perfect couple, on their way to falling deeply in love, if not on their way to winning the whole damn thing. And once again, Bobby finds himself weighing the idea of ruining them and exposing himself in the process.

"We're back!"

Ah, perfect! A distraction. Hope and Noah have returned from the outside world, where they were sent on an errand to buy snacks. Hope tosses a bag of nachos in Jo's direction, and Noah passes chocolate bars to those who'd asked for them.

Everyone hovers around the pair, digging into the snacks and asking questions. Suddenly, something as common as going to the market has become the most exciting thing ever, and everyone is eager to hear about the experience.

But there's only so much one can say about doing the food shopping, so it isn't long before everyone is back to being bored.

And Bobby just can't have that.

He can't handle being bored. Inactivity can be fine in small doses and on his own terms, but being forced to sit there in a room and twiddle his thumbs is excruciating.

"Why don't we do something fun?" he asks. "Like, for a laugh."

"In case you hadn't realized," Marisol says in a bored tone, "it's still raining."