Chapter 10

"I know, I know.  But you're missed."  Rebecca kissed Fred sweetly before he could try and refuse saying hello to another person on their extended exit of The Three Broomsticks.  

First Nigel had gone by their table, then Louis a few minutes later.  Then Yara.  By the time Harry, Ron, and Hermione had finished their drinks and were ready to start on the snowy walk back up to the castle, Rebecca and Fred were conversationed out.

"I'm making George close the shop and come next time."  Fred warned.  "He lives for this."

"Like you don't like a little bit of fame."  Rebecca teased.

Fred grabbed her hand and spun her before stopping her against him, gazing down at her with a heat behind his eyes.  "Sure I do, but not when it's taking away from my time with you."

Rebecca stared up at him for a moment, the brown depths seeming darker--more exciting, more alluring than ever before.  "Christmas will be here soon enough."  

"And?"  Fred laid a hand on her hip, the other resting on her shoulder to kiss her. 

"And there'll be plenty of time for that."

*******************************************

"This is it."  Fred said gently as they stopped at the entrance to the walkway from Hogsmeade to Hogwarts.  He turned his back to the others and kissed Rebecca deeply, wiping at the tear that made its way down her cheek before the others could see.  Fred frowned and kissed her lightning bolt before standing upright.  "Don't."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry, either."  Fred cleared his throat, finding it hoarse at the realisation that their time together had already come to an end.  "And definitely don't be sad."

"You've got the notes, the sweets, and you're going to tell everyone that-"

"That you love and miss them."  Fred glanced over his shoulder at how the others were shuffling in the snow.  "You've made your instructions very, very clear.  Check the tunnel--that's where I'll leave news when I hear anything."

Rebecca nodded and knew she would be thinking about the tunnel underneath the castle far more than she ever had before.  She brought a hand to the side of his face and kissed him one last time.  "I'll leave more of whatever I finish there then.  Be safe."

"I will if you are."  Fred took a step away and continued backwards to not have to look away from her yet.  "I love you."

"I love you!"  Rebecca waved as he turned the corner, staring after him a moment longer until Hermione put her arm through hers.

"Ready to head back?"

Rebecca forced a laugh.  "Yeah, bloody freezing out here."

Hermione led Rebecca a few feet ahead of Harry and Ron, distracting Rebecca with conversation about anything else.

"Did you hear her back there?"  Ron whispered to Harry, though the girls wouldn't have been able to hear their conversation anyway.  "About me and her snogging?"  Harry wiped at his face as if snow had landed on it to hide a smirk.  "As if!"

Harry would have liked to indulge Ron in being a more attentive listener, but he couldn't help but rush them ahead so that they were on either side of the girls.  It had occurred to Harry that it might have been better if Rebecca and Fred had not seen each other between breaks to have as few goodbyes as possible, but he knew that was impossible.

Harry put his arm around Hermione and Rebecca put hers around Ron.  "Don't go worrying, any of you."  Rebecca chastised, mustering a small smile at their care.