[~ chapter 16 ~]

(❀)

Part sixteen,

꧁ 𝘛𝘰𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘺𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘥𝘢𝘺, 𝘵𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘳𝘰𝘸 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘰𝘥𝘢𝘺 ꧂

...

-

-

Ever since the whole... Incident.. Many things returned back to as it was.

It was like when you first arrived in Inazuma, just before Kunikuzushi was first crowned. The doctor hunt decree finally drew its curtains, the lockdown was no longer, and no more Resistance. Its members just dispersed and all went back home- where loving families awaited their return.

People bid farewells and popped small fireworks in celebration for the first boat leaving Inazuma in almost two and a half years. It sailed away into the horizon of blue, until there was only a small dot in the distance. Merchants and travelers were overjoyed to start their business and go out adventuring again. Ship schedules were overflowing, and the Ritou docks were probably the most bustling place in all of the nation.

You were happy, too. It was amazing to see smiles on everyone's faces again. But a single thought remained with you the entire time.

Was this really the end of the story?

Two long years of the shogun's iron rule, only to be folded up by a traveling doctor from who knows where. A happy ending where she's together with the emperor and he's no longer "evil." A story too good to be true. But sure, let's say that's really the ending of the story. Everyone is satisfied and happy. The people with their freedom back, and the shogun with a new hope for life.

What about you?

You were overjoyed for them all- and happy yourself. It's just that.. Was this it? The end of your journey? Don't get it wrong, you truly did love Kunikuzushi with all your heart. Still, you were never meant to stay in one place, but to travel, to observe and remember. The thought of settling never really hit until now.

The Tenshukaku is nice. Very grand, and you're close with many servants too. Kunikuzushi may be a little paranoid, but it wasn't overbearing. You don't mean to complain, but you still missed the smell of grass and seawater as you slept on tree branches.

"Y/n." Kunikuzushi called out from beside, his voice muffled slightly. You looked over and mentally sighed at the broken train of thoughts.

"Yes?"

"Hmph." He ignored your response and dug deeper into the crook of your neck. You smiled and let him be. Not much changed since you 'accepted' his confession- a day late mind you. Although he was a little more clingy and touchy, he still kept out of your boundries.

His sassy and straightforward style stayed the same, but.. How would one explain this, he.. Became nicer? The once so called tyrant emperor was now tying to understand his people more. Whenever he made decisions, he thought about how it would affect the nation. When there were major cases to be trialed, Scaramouche listened to both sides with interest. Overall, he just became a better ruler of a kingdom.