Double Trouble (Resident Evil)

My mood was just lousy. If I had to name a worst day in my life, this would be it. Why did I have to come to this God forsaken place, this monster-infested hellhole? I shouldn't have done it. I should have never come here. But my big sister's duty called.

Yes, I know why I'm here. My name is Carol Weathers, and I came to Raccoon City to find my younger sister. Ruby had been living and working here for years, and we've been in contact on a regular basis. We were born in a village miles away from any big city, so after I arrived here the first time, I experienced something similar to a culture shock. The urban jungle impressed me. I'm sure Ruby had felt the same way when she came to this city to work.

But it wasn't what surprised me in the first place. Arriving to Raccoon City, I expected it to be full of life. But everything looked deserted and very messy, as if there had been some kind of a riot or, what's worse, a war. I haven't heard any news from Ruby for days, and she didn't answer my calls and messages. I got really worried. I asked my chief for permission to have three days of vacation, explaining it with urgent family issues. As my employment place wasn't very busy at that time, the chief agreed to give me three free days. The first location I went to was Ruby's work place. And just as in the rest of the city, dead silence and destruction was all I found. Not a single living soul anywhere. I then hurried to the apartment block where she lived. The front door was open, wind whistling through it. I ran up to the third floor and quickly found my sister's apartment. I rang the doorbell several times, but no response came.

I was in despair. If she wasn't in her apartment, where was she then? I didn't know what to do. I then pressed the door handle, although I knew it was pointless. But to my surprise, the door opened.

It was unlocked all this time? What the hell?

I entered Ruby's apartment, calling out her name several times. Dead silence was everywhere; the rhythmic ticking of the clock in the kitchen was the only sound I could hear. The apartment was empty, and I noticed many things missing. It looked like Ruby had packed in hurry and left. I wouldn't be surprised, considering the city's state. But what happened? I prayed to find at least one clue, when my eyes caught a piece of paper on Ruby's desk with something written on it.

It was Ruby's note. I recognized the handwriting at once, but the text was scribbled carelessly, as if she was composing this note in a hurry.

"Dear Carol,

I'm very sorry for not being able to answer your calls and messages. I lost my phone on my way home while running from a bunch of infected people. The situation in Raccoon City is disastrous. I don't know what exactly happened, but people began to get seriously sick. It's some kind of virus outbreak. I have no idea what kind of a disease it is; it could be something similar to rabies, but it's much, much worse. The infected ones simply attack healthy people like wild, hungry animals and... oh God, they try to eat them alive! This disease is turning people into rabid cannibals! Luckily, the rescue team is on its way, and I hear their call while writing these words. I must leave Raccoon City immediately. Don't worry about me. I'm evacuating myself with the rest of the survivors. I'll contact you as soon as I can. So, in case if you read this note, don't stay in Raccoon City even for a minute longer. Leave at once. This place is not safe at all.

Stay safe, sis. Love you,

Ruby"

As I read the note, I felt both relaxed and scared. I was definitely happy that Ruby was safe and away from this place. But what she said in the note frightened me to my very core. Raccoon City was plagued by some virus? Is this why the whole city is deserted? And infected people tried to eat the healthy ones... God, could that really be possible? I knew Ruby as a serious person; she wouldn't joke about such things. So I had to take her advice and leave the same way I came.