Chapter 9

“Great, now about the windows in our bathrooms, I think I know how we can do it.” Santiago said with his eyes glowing in excitement—wait, huh? I think they really were glowing.

“Um, Santiago?” I said.

“Yeah?”

“Your eyes, they’re glowing, a lot.”

“Oh yeah I know that happens, sometimes, don’t worry about it.”

“Oh. Go on; as you were saying.” I couldn’t stop staring though

“Well we are on the top floor.”

“How many floors are there?”

“There are 6 floors not counting the basement and the attic.”

“How are we going to do it?” Amelia asked.

“Jeremiah brings a rope, a looooooong rope and get to a position where you will see my window. One more thing about the rope, tie a large heavy rock to one end” Santiago said his arms spreading out to demonstrate how long it had to be.

“I understand.” I said.

“When I am ready I will light a candle by the window, after I open it of course.”

“The windows are locked tight, and you don’t have any matches.” Elizabeth said with her arms crossed.

“I’m getting to that. So when you’re ready; water bend some water up to the window and put out the candle. I will move the candle and earth bend the rock up to the window and bring it inside. I will climb down, and bingo we get out of here.”

“What about Amelia and Elizabeth?” I asked

“Elizabeth was right, the windows are locked, and I don’t have any matches. So, Amelia and Elizabeth are in charge of getting the key from Mr. Jones’s office. That way I would have to wait for Amelia to come and light the candle to let you know that we are ready.”

“Why would you have to wait—oh yeah, fire bending.” I said feeling a little like a fool after I answered my own question.

     “Yup, any kinks we can fix?”

     “Yeah um, how am I going to know which window to wait by?”

     “Come Jeremiah, I will show you what I can see from my window, so that you can tell.”