Chapter 8

I knocked on the door. Amelia opened it almost immediately.

“JEREMIAH!” she greeted me with a big hug, her hug made me feel warm all over. It was hard not to drop the tray when she was hugging me.

“Hey, can I come in?”

“Oh yeah come on in.”

I went inside after her and closed the door behind me. The room was a sight to behold. There were castles and mountains painted on the wall in such vivid detail, I felt as if I was back in the medieval times. Elizabeth’s furniture position was the exact same as mine, if it was reversed. Her bed was also the same as mine, but she had a grey blanket. Elizabeth, Santiago, and Amelia sat on a grey round rug in the middle of the room. I sat down next to Santiago. Today’s dinner was spaghetti and meatballs a piece of cake for dessert and a glass of water.

Elizabeth welcomed me into her room, with a nod and a smile.

We all began to dig into our grub.

“Jeremiah, you couldn’t have come to this research facility at a better time.”

Elizabeth said smoothing her skirt.

“What do you mean?”

“The missing puzzle piece is what we have been waiting for.”

“That’s great, but what are you going to do now that I’m here?”

Santiago looked around the room with narrow eyes. “Escape.” He whispered.

“What are you talking about? This place is great!” I said right before I shoved a meatball in my mouth.

“What are you talking about? How could you like this place?” Elizabeth said with a look of disgust.

“Well for one, they made me see again, they treat me well, and I met you guys here.”

“Don’t take the bait! This is a trap you idiot!” Elizabeth said clearly exasperated.

“What do you mean?”

“Have you been here before?”

“Yeah, in fact I was born here.” I said staring at my spaghetti as bad memories flooded my brain.

“Do you remember how they used to treat you?”

“Well yeah but they changed.”

“No they didn’t.”

“Well why are they nice all of a sudden?”

“When you were little, Mr. Jones took care of you right?”

“Well, yeah.”

“He wasn’t very nice then was he?”

“Well, no.”

“That’s because, he didn’t care about you, and he thought that you were a useless experiment. He is nice now because he knows you’re important.”

“Important?”

“Yes, do you even know why they want us?”

“No.” I shoveled in more spaghetti.

“They want to use us in the war. We are machines to them.”

“So, don’t you want to help your country?”

“That’s the thing; they aren’t working for Uncle Sam.”

I stopped mid-chew, and swallowed.

“You mean. They’re Germans?”

“Well I don’t know if they are Germans, but they are working for them.”

“We have to escape.” I said stabbing a meatball with my fork.

“Well the big question is where do we go?” Amelia said poking at a meatball with her fork.

“I know where we can go, but it’s far away from this place.” Santiago said studying his wrist.

“Well what is it?”

“It’s a training facility where I was born, they are working for America and they aren’t jerks. They can train us with our bending.”

“Well where is it?”

“New York city.”

“No way, we will never get there.” Amelia said shaking her head.

“Maybe we can.” Everyone’s eyes immediately darted to me. “I know a guy who will be willing to help us and I think he can take us there.”

“Well who is he?” Elizabeth said. I could see how desperately she wanted to leave.

“His name is Peter Frames.”

“Well how do we know he can help us?”

“He is a friend of mine, and he kind of owes me.”

“How do you know he can get us to New York?”

“He just came from New York, he lived there.”

“Hmmm, it seems like a pretty good plan.”

“Where is he located?” Santiago asked clearly excited.

“He works at the bookstore downtown, that’s where I met him.”

“How old is he?” Amelia asked quite suddenly.

“He is 20; see we would even have an adult to accompany us.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa; guys we haven’t even discussed how we are going to get out of here.” Santiago said hands in the air.

Our excitement stopped.

“I got it!” Amelia said, after a few minutes of just silence and chewing. “There is a window in each of our bathrooms right?”

“Yeah, but, Mr. Jones said he would set me free in two days.” I said before I chugged down some water.

“That’s perfect!” Amelia said.

“Wait, but how do we know that Mr. Jones was telling the truth? He isn’t trust worthy.” Santiago said.

“Mr. Jones is telling the truth.” Elizabeth said.

“How do you know?” I asked.

“If he lies he knows that you will escape. He will probably set you free, but he will tell you to stay in town, and that you need to come back after a week.”

“You can help us get out of here!” Amelia said with a huge smile on her face.

“I will do it! I can even talk to Peter about helping us get to New York.”