Chapter 6

I exited the room and went down a stairwell on my left. At the end of the stairs was the cafeteria. There was just one table and a window on the wall about 10 feet away from the table, where I saw ladies in caps and aprons rushing about on the other side. It was a large window with no glass. I figured that was where you got your food. I sat down on the table. It wasn’t a big table, and it could probably seat about 6 people.

I sat down on a chair at the wooden table. Before I knew it, a girl my age walked down the steps into the room. She had curly light brown hair that was cut just below her shoulders. She had a few freckles on her cheeks and a cheery smile. She was wearing a black and red plaid skirt, a red and white sweater, and grey oxfords for shoes. What struck me about her were her eyes. She had fiery brown eyes; they were a brownish red that seemed to glow. She seemed warm and kind.

“JEREMIAH!” She yelled.

“Amelia?” I asked rather stunned.

“Yeah, it’s me, what? Did I grow a second head or something?” she said as she sat down across from me.

“No, it’s just that, you look so different than I expected.”

“Wait, you mean, you can see?”

“Yeah it’s incredible.”

“Your eyes.”

“What about them.”

“You’re the missing puzzle piece!”

“What are you talking about?”

“I had a feeling but I wasn’t sure, I just can’t believe it!”

Before I could question her again another girl came down the stairs. She had long blonde hair that was up to her waist. You know how blondes naturally have brown streaks in their hair? Well she didn’t it was all blonde. Her hair was straight until her shoulders where it began to wave perfectly. She was wearing the same thing as Amelia. Her face seemed strict but not necessarily in a bad way. Her eyes were silver and seemed wise and ruling. She walked to our table and took a seat next to Amelia.

“Who is the new guy?” she asked while studying me with her eyes.    

“This is Jeremiah Newman, Jeremiah this is Elizabeth Anastasios.” Amelia said beaming wide.

“You know that I don’t call myself that Amelia. Hello, Jeremiah, my name is Elizabeth Powers.”

“Hey, is your hair naturally like that?” I asked her. After a few seconds I realized what a stupid question that was.

She gave a slight smile and nodded. Elizabeth seemed oddly familiar in a distant way.

“Well that’s amazing!” I said smiling.

“Thank you, missing puzzle piece.”

“I get sick of not knowing something that seems very important, especially when it’s about me, so what is that?”

This may seem annoying to you, but yes someone else did come down the stairs. This time it was a guy. He was probably about one inch taller than me and was rather muscular and fit. He wasn’t huge, but he looked pretty strong. He was wearing the same thing as me but with some dirty white high-top basketball shoes. He had a friendly face and had curly black hair. His eyes were green and seemed so alive, and new. His skin was a light olive brown, so I assumed he wasn’t a real American.

“Hello my friends! I know all of you missed me.” He said as he sat down next to me as if I was invisible.

“You’re late again Santiago.” Elizabeth snapped without a smile.