Chapter 5

Do I have to go through the detail of these experiments? I kind of don’t want to but eh, why not right?

First experiment: Lasers to the eyes.

Hypothesis: 43789 will react to the lasers as a disturbance.

Results: The experiment was a complete success! Our subject did not react as we imagined, but if our hypothesis was correct the surgery would have been a failure. We are excited because, there was a slim chance that this would work, and it did! He claimed that he did not feel disturbed at all by the lasers.

Second experiment: eye-poking.

Hypothesis: 43789 will react to the poking as a disturbance.

Results: Again, our hypothesis was incorrect. 43789 did not react as if it was a disturbance. 43789 registered it as a mild discomfort. This only doubles our faith in this project.

Yes, both experiments sound unpleasant in general, but they actually weren’t as bad as you think. Not to me, anyways. I went back to my jail cell and slept. I woke up to the sound of Joe Jones’s voice, that’s a sucky start to a day isn’t it?

“Oh, Ricky Jr. pleasant seeing you awake.”

“I wish I could say the same about you.”

“Have you ever opened your eyes?”

For once, I didn’t know what Mr. Jones was getting at. I never opened my eyes. There was no need, I mean I could get dirt and stuff in my eyes all for what? “Um yeah maybe once or twice in 11 years, why?”

“Do it now.”

“Um, okay I’ll do it to make you happy.” I opened my eyes. For the first time in a long time, I – saw. It was amazing! I don’t know what to say. I actually was seeing with my own eyes! I was in a white room; my bed was all white except for the blanket, which was light blue. The only other thing that was a different color was the wood floor which was brown. And on my left seated on a stool was Joe Jones. He was a tall fellow with white skin. He had sharp, stern features and a drawn out nose. His blonde hair was cut military style. He was smiling and his light brown eyes were twinkling.

“Can you see?” His dishonest voice looked strange coming out of his mouth I was so used to it coming from nothing.

“Yeah I can see.”

“Great! The experiment was a success.”

“You were trying to make me see, is that what you were doing?”

“Yes Ricky Jr.”

“I can see! I still can’t believe it! It’s just like I remembered it.”

“Do you have an idea how valuable you are?”

“I thank you for helping me, but I have to go back to my life.”

“Right, you just have to stay here a few more days I promise.”

“Oh I know I will be here, what I don’t know is if I will get out.”

 “I promise I will get you out after three days.”

“Good, so now what?”

“Since you don’t have to rest you can go mingle with the other patients for the next three days. To sleep and go the bathroom you come here.”

“It sounds decent.”

“Good.”

“Yup.”

“Yeah.”

Awkward silence.

“So do you have another change of clothes because I have been wearing this for the past week now and…?”

“Oh yeah, right, I will be right back.”

When Mr. Jones returned he gave me a red t-shirt, some black slacks, a black blazer, and the shoes I had brought to Amelia’s party. I had made these shoes myself. They were made with light weight canvas. I called them “Flyers” because they were so light. He also gave me a red night shirt and fresh socks and underwear. Okay, when I had taken a shower before I had washed my underwear in the sink and dried them before I put them back on. Yes, it was awkward when I had to stand around waiting in no underwear, but I didn’t have to worry about that anymore thank goodness. Mr. Jones left me in my jail cell with the new clothes, and my excitement. I mean I    CAN    SEE! I SAW (I had to get used to saying that) a wooden chest in the corner and I put my old clothes in there as well as my shoes, socks and underwear. I changed into the outfit Mr. Jones gave me. It was strange; I had to learn how to see. It was kind of like, well, it was like (Sigh). Let me put it into perspective for you. One day you wake up, and you can fly. You don’t just fly right away. You have to learn how to turn, speed up, slow down, ascend, and descend. That’s what it was like. Except I had to learn how to focus on something, I had to match up sounds with looks, and I had to learn how to tell where a sound was coming from. For the first time I looked down at my arms. They were thin and pale; my hands were thin and long. I went to the bathroom, and looked in the mirror. I had a short face and a small nose. I had brown wavy hair and small ears. What I found strange was my eyes. My irises were icy blue, they seemed to stick out of my normal face. The door opened.

“You’re looking good Ricky Jr.” Mr. Jones said.

“How can I help you?” I was slightly irritated and confused by him. He was mean, he was nice, he didn't care. Whatever, he made me see!

“It’s lunch time.”

I smiled in excitement.