Chapter 7: Party Crasher

"Yes, but the fundamentals of the company are still very, very strong despite the events in Monaco," Pepper says to the person on the other side of the phone call. Max lies on the sofa eating popcorn watching Pepper and Natalie drone on trying to defend Tony and his recent actions in Monaco. Max looks towards the entrance, hears the front door open, and sees Rhodey walk in with a hardened expression.

"Where is he?" Rhodey asks no one in particular. "He doesn't want to be disturbed," Natalie says cupping her hand over the phone. "He's downstairs," Pepper says. Natalie glances at her and goes back to her phone call. Rhodey nods and jogs down the stairs to the basement.

Max gets up from the sofa and follows after him. As he passes Natalie, he puts popcorn in her mouth and laughs at her surprised and irritated expressions as she takes a moment to chew. 

Max presses the passcode for the door and enters just as Rhodey stops in front of the Roadster Tony is sitting in looking blankly at holographic images. "Tony, you gotta get upstairs and get on top of this situation right now," Rhodey says firmly, "Listen. I've been on the phone with the National Guard all day, trying to talk them out of rolling tanks up the PCH, knocking down your front door and taking these. They're gonna take your suits," He says pointing towards the Iron Man suits.

"Tony, okay? They're sick of the games. You said nobody else would possess this technology for 20 years. Well, guess what? Somebody else had it yesterday. It's not theoretical anymore. Are you listening to me? Are you okay?" Rhodey asks worriedly when sees Tony not saying anything back. "No he's not," Max says walking past Rhodey and pulling Tony out of the car and moving him over to his desk, and placing him on his chair.

"What do you mean?" Rhodey asks concerned watching as Max lifts Tony's shirt and takes out his arc reactor, a puff of smoke is released. "Is that supposed to be smoking?" Rhodey points to the arc reactor. "If you must know it's neutron damage," Tony says exhausted and tired. Max carefully takes out the old disk from the arc. It looks covered in corrosion and rust, it sizzles a bit as he pulls it from the arc reactor.

"You had that in your body?" Rhodey looks in disbelief grimacing. Max opens what looks like a cigar box and replaces the burnt with a new palladium disk. He hands it to Tony who reattaches his arc reactor sighing and then taking a drink from a green liquid. "How long?" Tony asks Max. "Long enough," Max replies going back to eating his popcorn. "I was going to tell you," Tony sighs looking at him. "Whatever you say, Tony," Max scoffs walking away. Tony flinches slightly at the cold tone.

"I believe in you Big bro, You'll find a solution. You are the smartest person I know," Max says smiling warmly at Tony, who smirks and gives a thumbs up. Max walks out the door and heads upstairs. He sees the two redheads still on the phone working. He walks around and sits on the table, staring at Natalie and eating his popcorn obnoxiously loud to get her attention. Pepper is unfazed and already used to his antics.

"What is it?" She hisses annoyed with his obnoxiousness. "I would like to check in my 'I O U Dinner' ticket," He says placing his popcorn aside. "I'm kind of busy right no-" "It's fine. you can go, I got it handled," Pepper cuts her off smiling assuredly. "You heard the boss," Max says not giving a moment to protest, and grabs onto her hand and pulls her after him.

"I'm not even dressed for a dinner date," She protests weakly as they hop into his car. "You look fine, besides we're going to this amazing burger joint. I found a while ago," Max says waving her concerns. "A man after my own heart," She says dryly smiling teasingly. "I aim to please," He grins driving off.

...

"Quite eager are we?" Natalie says breathlessly as Max pushes her up against the wall of his house's entryway. "Very much," He says kissing down her neck and fondling her tits eliciting a moan from her.