Chapter 1

The way I see it, everyone in the world is divided into two categories. In category A are the people not worth talking to.  They are the ordinary, innocent, naive human individuals who spend their time not ever stopping to think or pay attention. These are the people who don't appreciate their lives and the beauty of being here. In category B, you have the people who will eventually hurt you. But the people in Category B are far worse due to the fact that they have the capability to change your life, and the power to ruin everything you've worked hard to build. They're much more terrible because they're extraordinary.

****

         Even though I hadn't agreed in the slightest, my mother and I decided that I was to attend public schooling just like everyone else. Actually, my mother didn't tell me I was registered until the day before school began and I had no say in the matter. I was exceptionally bad-tempered and downtrodden when I was rudely interrupted by my alarm at 6:30 in the morning. As I pulled myself out of my covers, my mind filled with the usual excuses for going back to sleep, but I pushed them away. For the first time in 2 years,  I was filled with the desire to be anywhere other than my house. I felt strangely out of place as I sat down at the faded kitchen table.

"Surprised to see you up so early. Excited for school? " My mother called as she fried eggs on our small stove.

I shrugged.  If anyone was on top of things, It was my mother. It wasn't easy caring for me by herself. She placed a small plate of eggs in front of me.

"Eat. It's supposed to be cold today, so wear a jacket." She kissed me on my head, grabbed her bag, and walked briskly out the door. I ate a few bites of eggs before placing the rest in a container for lunch. Sighing, I pulled my jacket over my head and shouldered my backpack before walking out the door. Today was going to be a tornado, and I had no safe house.

****

       No one notices how much people overlook the reality of situations. If someone sees a quiet kid sitting in the back of the classroom not talking or participating, everyone immediately assumes they're stupid. They're a freak. They don't work hard enough. They don't care enough. Little do they know, that person listens just as much as them. Works just as hard as them. Struggles just as hard as them. They hear everything you say and they know what you think. The quietest people have the most colorful minds.

****

       As I walked through the doors, I was immediately surrounded by people laughing, talking, and catching up. No one saw me walk through those doors, and I was grateful. I slowly walked to my solitary seat near the stairs. I took in my surroundings, noticing how much hadn't changed. The teachers were just as sleep deprived, the building was just as run down and dirty, and the student were just as oblivious. Girls shrieked, and I was starting to lose my sense of excitement.

"Cassie!"

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my friend pushing frantically through the crowd of hyper highschoolers. I prepared myself before Haley hugged me so hard I thought I heard a bone crack.

"I missed you! " She said, releasing me so I could breathe. I smiled. Then, she sat down on the bench beside me and started to talk about how her summer had been. I listened to her babble, occasionally nodding to let her know I was listening. It's not that I didn't like Haley, it was just that sometimes she talked so long that I would zone out or become distracted. However, it was nice to have her around.

       She was interrupted by the shrill tone of the bell. I groaned inwardly, knowing that it was time to start the day. Following the horde of students, I was already fantasizing about going home.

****