Chapter 9

The wind blew at my hair annoyingly as I walked to school. I was still internally grumbling at being forced to go to school, and I was silently wishing I had brought a jacket with me as the October wind bit at my skin. I scowled.

       After what seemed like ages, I arrived at the familiar building. It was a smallish brown, run-down building that had an air of misery around it. I was already angry as I walked through the squeaking doors and the chattering, jostling teenagers who pushed me around when I entered didn't help my mood. I stalked over to my normal bench, where Nathan was sitting immersed in a book. I read the side: Sign Language for Beginners. He looked up as I walked over, and immediately out his book in his backpack. I watched him curiously as he pulled out a notepad and a pen. He scribbled something on the notepad and handed it to me.

I can't talk right now. My throat is infected with something, and it could damage my vocal chords. Don't worry: it isn't contagious.

He smiled warmly at me. I took the pen from him.

Nathan, I think we both know that your throat is not infected.

I smiled back. Nathan laughed loudly, and looked at me.

"Well, I just wanted an excuse to see what goes on in that mysterious brain of yours. "

He said, and he looked slightly embarrased. I rolled my eyes.

Nothing of importance. I wrote. Just some random stuff.

He grabbed the pen from me.

I wonder what we'll get to do in English today.

We continued talking like that for a while until the bell stopped us. Nathan gave the notepad to me.

"I like knowing what's going on in that brain of yours," he said, and before I could protest, he walked away.

I looked down at the notepad. Before he could see I stuffed it in my backpack and walked to class.

****

         One thing that needs to be given recognition is small victories. It is assumed that in order to have a victory, you must have done something incredible, like winning an Oscar or becoming a millionaire. People need to realize that a victory doesn't necessarily have to be something big. It's a huge victory for some people to just get up in the morning. Or to even move or talk at all. If society would just realize that small victories are just as important as the large ones, then we would all have a better life.

****

         For once, my English class wasn't boring me to death. I sat in the back next to Nathaniel, and even though I tried my hardest to listen to Mr Sanders's droning voice, I was failing. I was distracted as Nathan kept trying to catch my eye. When I would finally glance at him, he would make a face in hopes to make me laugh. His attempts were failing, but I still gave him a chance because it was better than listening to my English Class.

As I sat there in that dingy classroom, I looked at all of the small details I had foolishly overlooked. How his  dark black bangs would fall in his face when he became excited and his eyes were so reserved, yet so giving and revealing at the same time. About how he stuck his tongue between his teeth when he smiled, and how he never ceased to want what was best for you.  When I looked at this boy who had chosen me out of so many people in this world, so many normal, interesting people,  I realized how extraordinary he was, and how incredibly unremarkable I was.

"Ms Cassidy, if you could pay attention to me instead of Mr Hawthorne, that would be very much appreciated," Mr Sanders finally barked, and all eyes looked at me. I felt my face heat up and I ducked my head down.

"Thank you. Now as I was saying, you all must choose a partner as we will be doing a long term project on A Midsummer Night's Dream. I don't want anyone left out, and you and your partner will read the book and talk about the character development and plot and write an essay about it. Essays will be handed to me on March 24. No exceptions. " he said, and he sat back down at his desk wearily.

I looked around, slightly panicked. Haley wasn't in this class, and she was my only friend. I felt a tap at my shoulder and as I turned around I saw it was Nathaniel.

"Would you like to work together? I mean, if not, that's fine. " the remarkable boy  stammered, fiddling with his pencil.

I sighed. It was my only choice, and I regretted it as I nodded my head. Nathan smiled.

"Alright, but just to warn you, I can't speak Shakespeare. " I snorted. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad. I pulled out the notepad, and he smiled again.

"You kept it!" He said, with lots of enthusiasm. I rolled my eyes for the second time today.

Alright. Let's read Chapter 1.

Later, after I had walked out of class, I looked at the small paper notepad again. I noticed some writing in the corner that I hadn't noticed before.

Here's my number. Text me if you need some help with the project. We should probably get working soon so we don't procrastinate. :P

I sighed. I definitely was starting to regret this, but nevertheless I shoved the notepad on my backpack.

****

         Oftentimes, the worst thing in the world is realization. People draw veils over their eyes and make excuses to avoid it.  One of the most common excuses is, "I can't do it." With one single sentence, the person's chance is gone just because they chose to believe it. If you want something to happen, you have to make it happen. And it may hurt, but things only hurt if they're important.