the start

(AN: a quick rewrite of the first chapter to pad it out and just add in more context for later in the book I decided to plan out)

The day was warm despite the summer starting to turn into fall, you were on your way to the store, a pack of ramen on your mind to try something new with your sibling. You had recently moved out on your own and your little brother would be visiting later that day along with your parents, so the store run was needed in general.

You got to the crosswalk waiting for the indicator to walk and stretching your arms up to the sky for a moment. You felt a pop in your back getting a sigh of relief from you noticing the change in the lights and that the indicator had changed, your sneakers started across a smile on your face.

Then there was a screech of tires, your head turned to see a truck heading your way not seeming to want to stop. You willed your legs to move but found yourself frozen before white.

Your vision was filled with white and a ringing flooded your ears. A wave of fiery pain followed after that seeming to burn you from the inside out, there was a scream, was it yours? It sounded like your voice, but also not.

Darkness snapped in suddenly like the lights had been turned off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A splitting headache that ripped your skull in two and made light feel like daggers was how the world greeted you as you tried to wake up. You tried to open your eyes only to be met with more pain racing through your mind and body, making you groan and whine for a moment rolling over to try to get the ringing out of your ears. Though as the ringing was fading the sound of cars and traffic followed.

"What the fuck" a whine worked your way out of your mouth sounding rougher than it had ever been like you had a screaming match with a metal concert and lost. You pressed your face into the concrete like it was a lifeline.

You stiffened as you realized you were laid out on the ground followed by the memory of the truck coming for you. Sitting up you found yourself in an alleyway. Ignoring the pain and soreness it caused.

you were in a dingy alleyway in the same outfit with your bag as when the driver who ran the red light hit you, but you should have been in the street right? So why were you here in an alleyway?

Even more so where were you?! This didnt look like your hometown. Standing up your legs felt like jello and you grabbed the edge of a dumpster with your furry hand to steady yourself. A furry monkey's hand attached to a furry arm.

Your body stiffened as you looked at your hand then your arm now covered in dark fur your heart raced. You heard the creek of metal as you stiffened further looking seeing your fingers leave dents in the dumpster.

"..."

"what the fuck" your voice was cracking as you finally look at yourself reaching into your bag to grab your phone to look at the reflection to see a very much monkey face looking back at you

You screamed for the second time that day