Page 9

I jerked awake with a start. I didn't remember my dream but I wanted to cry. I needed out of this car.

"Hey Randy do we have somewhere to stop for some grub and stretching my legs?"

"Sure. An off ramp is coming up. Do you want gas station, drive through or sit down?"

"Just a gas station is fine." Dad had finished his paper work and was typing on his laptop. "Done with work?"

"Yes. Just doing emails now. How did you sleep? Seemed to wake with a start."

"Fine. Not sure what woke me." He smiled.

"Probably the pot holes Randy keeps hitting." Our driver chuckled.

"Just want to make sure that you don't get too cozy back there." Dad and Randy had been friends all their lives. It made for some interesting car rides. Randy pulled up in an all night truck stop.

"Go with him Randy."

"I'm just gonna pee and get some snacks I'll be fine." Dad followed me out of the car. I pulled out my phone I was gonna text Alex. If nothing else I could see how the day went for him. I stumbled in a hole, my phone went flying and I winced as I heard a crash. Randy helped me up.

"You okay?" Dad asked brushing my pants off for me.

"Yeah. That'll teach me to text and walk at the same time." Randy came over with my crushed phone.

"We'll get you another one when we home." I nodded but I felt panic pull at me. That had been my lifeline to Alex. I didn't remember his number. It was only in that phone that was now in four pieces. I went on to the store and picked out my snacks. Since I'd said no to Randy coming dad came instead. He paid for the two bags of things.

"I'm gonna hit the bathroom and I'll be right out." He sighed but nodded. I tucked my hair in my hood pulling it up so no one could see my face. The confidence that I had with dad and mom even Alex didn't include the rest of the world. Or my courage either. It was better if I went unnoticed as I cut through the aisles toward the bathroom. I came to a halt as I passed a line of condoms and pregnancy tests. My earlier thought came back to me. It wasn't possible I told myself but I tucked one in my jacket and hurried on. I sat in the stall for several minutes waiting. What if I was? How would I tell Alex? What would I say to mom and dad? It was an easy way to get rid of the prospect of marriage. When I was sure it had been long enough I looked at the stick and nearly choked. For any other race it would be too soon. But our bodies worked quick to lay that egg. It would sit for another four to five months before hatching though.

"Well Alex, know it or not you are gonna be a father. I really hope you are gonna be happy about this." I hurried out of the stall to wash my hands. I was heading for the the door and ran into Randy coming into the bathroom. I quickly tossed the paper towel and the test before he could see it.

"You okay?"

"Yeah. I'm okay." He nods and follows me out to the car. I dig into the snacks hoping my dad doesn't pick up on the nervousness I have going.

I was pregnant. How was I going to tell Alex though? My one way to him was in that phone which was broken. I slipped a hand over my stomach. I was pregnant. Dad had his head back and eyes closed. If I told him now he'd have the rest of the car ride to interrogate me. I didn't want to tell him at all. I wanted to tell Alex and have Alex come get me. When he showed up then I'd bother to tell dad. But giving birth to an egg was going to be noticed. Wait... he said he and mom were going out of town.

"Hey dad, how long were you and mom going to be out of town?"

"We'll be leaving as soon as you are dropped off and be back next weekend. Are you sure you'll be alright at the house alone?" He asked looking at me.