Chapter Fourteen

The cold gripped the forest floors, making everything freeze in its path. It was officially leaf-bare. It's been a moon since Waterpaw became a medicine cat. She felt like she was struggling, thinking that she wasn't meant to be a medicine cat. Spottedleaf had a lot of patience with her, but with all the sick cats coming in now, it was getting harder to keep up. 

"Spottedleaf!" Mewed a she-cat from the clearing.

Spottedleaf ran into the clearing. Many cats were surrounding another cat that was laying down. His sides were heaving, and his eyes were almost closed, streaming with gunk. "Let's get him into my den," She mewed. Waterpaw looked around. They already had two warriors, and a queen inside the den. How much more could they fit? 

Just as Spottedleaf and the other medicine cats had feared, with leaf-bare just starting, they had no catmint to help with their sick cats. They were frozen over and brown. Waterpaw laid her ears flat on her head. Great! She thought bitterly to herself. It was Runningwind. She had to spend a long time with this warrior who had mentored her a moon ago. She did not want to interact with him. He was devastated when she switched roles, though he never showed it. She could clearly tell that he was ignoring her almost all the time. 

"Waterpaw." Mewed Spottedleaf, not taking her eyes off of Runningwind. "Get some chickweed from the store." 

Waterpaw didn't have time to protest. She knew lives were in danger, so she sprinted to the store. She gently grabbed the chickweed in between her teeth, careful not to break the juices it had in the leaves. She dropped it in front of Runningwind. Her eyes were filled with worry. Please eat some. Runningwind didn't budge. He can't be dead! 

Spottedleaf nudged the chickweed closer and nudged his cheeks. Runningwind was weak, but was able to lick up the leaves and swallow them slowly. When he finished, he laid back down and closed his eyes tightly. He was not doing good, but the chickweed should help within a few days. It's not catmint, but it'll have to do. Luckily it grows in ThunderClan territory near Sunningrocks and they were able to plenty before the leaf-bare began. 

It was almost sun-high, but it won't last long. Spottedleaf was exhausted, but kept going, treating the cats in her den. She gave them heather nectar to help the taste. Waterpaw yawned, wanting to curl up and sleep, but with so many sick cats, it was nearly impossible to get a good night's sleep. The Gathering was tonight. Waterpaw longed to go, but thought her chances were low. 

The fresh-kill pile was running low as well, but luckily not low enough where they had to worry. Dustpaw and Sandpaw came trotting down into camp with their mouths full of prey. Sandpaw caught a huge vole, and Dustpaw was carrying two mice by their tails. With that much luck, surely leaf-bare wasn't going to be bad as they had thought. 

"Dustpaw! Sandpaw!" Yowled a voice from behind them. "Get some fresh-kill and some sleep. You're going to the Gathering tonight." It was Lionheart that spoke. 

Waterpaw heard his words to Dustpaw and Sandpaw. She felt jealous. She glanced at her patients and she looked defeated. Runningwind, and Willowpelt were doing terribly. Willowpelt was breathing rather slowly. Waterpaw quickly leaped to her side and pressed her body against hers. Waterpaw shallowed her breathing and closed her eyes, trying to keep Willowpelt warm. She fell asleep and suddenly began dreaming. She recognized the smell of two clan cats. One seemed stronger than the other. She sniffed the air again and opened her mouth to bring in the senses to her mind. Willowpelt. She looked around and smelled again. Cloudberry. Why is Cloudberry and Willowpelt here? She thought to herself. She couldn't see either of them, but somehow their scents were both strong now. She turned around, searching the forest floors for them.

"Come little one." Purred Cloudberry. Waterpaw whirled around, thinking the sound came from behind her, but she saw nothing. All she could hear was their voices.