Chapter Two

Lily's long-haired, calico fur ruffled up as she cleaned herself. She couldn't stop thinking about what Featherwhisker had said. It had stung her like a thousand bees, but she couldn't think of leaving her cozy den. She tried shaking her head to clear it, but it just wouldn't go away. "Perhaps it's time I leave and just join ThunderClan." She meowed softly to herself.

Later that night after she finished her kibble, she set foot outside. It was dark and a little rainy. Great! She thought to herself. Shaking off her pelt from the drizzle, she trotted toward the white picket fence. Her pelt, beginning to get damp, laid flat on her body. She wanted nothing more than to just go back inside and dry off, but she knew she was doing the right thing. She longed to see Featherwhisker one more time and ask her what is to come, but she had to do this part on her own. She was setting off for ThunderClan and that was enough for now... even though she had no idea where she was going.

The rain pitter-pattered harder and her long coat was drenched in wetness. "I need to get out of the rain." She muttered. She trotted faster into the thick forest. She found herself almost getting lost, and her eyes stung from the rain. The ground became soggy and slippery. Lily could barely see a tail-length in front of her from the fog that began to settle. All of a sudden, she slid down a steep hill and found herself tumbling down. She couldn't get a grip, and kept sliding until she hit something cold. It was the river. She had no strength to fight the current, and almost felt like giving up.

***

"What is it?" Meowed a large black tom.

"Smells of a kittypet." Growled a small apprentice.

"Get out of the way!" Hissed a long-haired, light, brown tom. "Give her some space." He added, cooly.

Lily coughed and gasped for air. She looked around and saw blurred cats standing around her. She tried to stand up, but couldn't. She fell back down, panting hard. She felt like she couldn't catch her breath.

"Calmly focus on breathing." She heard the light brown tom tell her. "It's going to be alright."

Lily finally caught her breath and looked up at the tom. She recognized him from her dreams once before. "Why are you being so nice to me?" She asked.

"I am a medicine cat. I take care of all cats, even if they are kittypets. My name's Mudfur, by the way." He meowed.

"I thought I recognized your scent." She meowed back softly, still a little weak. " I'm Lily."

"You know me?" He asked, almost at a whisper.

"I..." She paused, looking around at the other cats, "Can we talk in private?" She asked, looking back up at Mudfur. Mudfur nodded and gestured to the other cats to move along and go away. To Lily's surprise, they listened to him. She then continued, "I see StarClan often in my dreams and they tell me things. I must get to Bluestar."

Mudfur tilted his head in confusion. "A kittypet is able to talk to StarClan?"

"I cannot answer anything more until I find ThunderClan and speak with Bluestar. Please, you must help me. All I can say is that her Clan is in danger."

Mudfur nodded and looked over at a rather small den where their leader laid. "Crookedstar!" He shouted.

Crookedstar came trotting over as the medicine cat called. His fur was light colored, and had tabby markings on it. He also had a crooked jaw. That explains his name, thought Lily. She could hear Mudfur and Crookedstar talking, but couldn't make out any words. She was too lost in thought. Lily then came back to the real world when Crookedstar began to speak. His voice was deeper than she had thought.

"You want me to take a kittypet to ThunderClan?" He asked.

"No." Replied Mudfur, "I want you to find someone to take her. Our Clan is much too vulnerable for you to leave. Leaf-bare is among us soon. I can feel it in the wind."

Crookedstar didn't reply. He just nodded and looked around the area. He was searching for the right cat to take Lily to ThunderClan. Crookedstar then stopped his gaze on a reddish-brown tom. "Oakheart!" He yowled across the clearing. "I have a mission for you."

Oakheart padded over, his eyes locked onto Lily with confusion. "What is it?" He asked, in a rather soft voice as if to not scare away the kittypet.

"Take this kittypet.."

Lily stomped the ground and interrupted him, with a rather hostile voice, "I am not just a kittypet. I know a lot more than you think about the Clans." Her eyes were narrow slits.

Crookedstar stood in silence, not knowing what to do. He has never heard a kittypet talk that harshly before. They normally have a very soft voice. Rogues and Loners even have rather soft voices. "Right." He softly meowed, "Take... uh... Lily, to Bluestar." He finally meowed drifting his gaze to Oakheart. Oakheart nodded and swiftly flicked his tail to Lily.

As Lily followed Oakheart, she could sense that he had some tension. She had guessed that he didn't want to take her to ThunderClan.

"Why are you so tense?" She finally asked.

Oakheart didn't answer her. He just kept trotting along and looking forward. Lily didn't ask again, for she knew that it might make him angry. Oakheart padded up to a river. On the other side was ThunderClan. Lily sighed as she recognized the river that Featherwhisker had explained to her.

"Here." Meowed Oakheart. "We must cross. It's shallow here."

Lily rolled her eyes. "I do know how to swim, you know." She hissed.

Oakheart scoffed and chuckled, "Yeah, I could tell by the looks of it. You seemed to be really good at swimming. Or shall I say, drowning?"

Lily rolled her eyes again, and then padded forward into the river. She couldn't really touch the river floor, but she was capable of swimming a few meters across. She could feel the cold hitting her pelt. Oakheart then paddled after her. Him being more professional, passed her and then shook off his pelt. His fur became dry almost instantly. Lily then got up behind him and shook her body, aggressively. Lily's fur was much thicker and had more density, so she wasn't able to get dry by just a few shakes.

They were both finally in Sunningrocks. Oakheart paused and sniffed the air. "We're close to ThunderClan border." He softly meowed.

Lily felt he had tension again. "Are you okay?" She asked, tilting her head.

Oakheart sighed and looked back at Lily. "I-I just don't really want to see someone right now." He meowed, looking forward again and slightly flattening his ears.