Chapter Twenty

The half-moon shined upon Waterpaw's pelt. Her eyes glowed as she stared up into the moon; her eyes clouded with worry. Yellowfang padded out of the den and flicked her tail, signaling she was ready to go. Waterpaw didn't want to go. For once, she wanted to stay in camp. With Spottedleaf gone, it felt like she was falling apart. It was hard for Waterpaw to concentrate on the right herbs and she kept messing everything up. Yellowfang is not patient like Spottedleaf was. 

She followed Yellowfang to Snake Rocks, her tail dragging across the forest floors the whole time. "Cheer up, Waterpaw." Rasped Yellowfang as she bounded across the thunderpath. Waterpaw bounded after her and looked back at the thunderpath. It was quite empty this half-moon, fortunately. 

Waterpaw padded ahead of Yellowfang and wrinkled up her nose as she neared ShadowClan's border. Their stench was awful! She glanced over at Yellowfang. She didn't seem too bothered by the smell. Yellowfang twitched her nose and bounded off towards Mothermouth. Waterpaw, still feeling exhausted, found it hard to keep up to the old she-cat. She was fast for an old medicine cat. When they reached the small thunderpath, Waterpaw could see the path to Mothermouth. It almost glowed in the moonlight. She suddenly didn't feel tired and trekked faster to the tunnels. It looked like crystals glinting all around her as she neared it. Yellowfang padded up behind her. Her fur glowed in the light, making it a shining, light gray, just like the half-moon above them. 

Just as Yellowfang was ducking into the tunnels, Waterpaw heard footsteps behind her. She turned her head and saw a small gray-and-white tom. His nose was running and crusted. Waterpaw did not recognize him. Yellowfang peered from out of the tunnel. "Why are you going so slo.." She paused and looked at the tom. "Runningnose?" She mewed in surprise.

Runningnose dipped his head in response then padded into the tunnel before Waterpaw. Waterpaw followed behind him, confused on who the cat was. Yellowfang seemed to have known him. He smelled of ShadowClan. Waterpaw guessed that he might be the new medicine cat. But how could ShadowClan appoint a cat that can't even cure his own cold? 

They continued into the tunnel. Waterpaw blinked her eyes as the light from the crystal stones shined through. Sounds of water droplets was heard throughout the tunnel. Waterpaw pricked her ears and listened carefully to the soft sounds that echoed. 

As she, Yellowfang and Runningnose neared the light out of the tunnel, their eyes narrowed to slits. It was really bright and they all had to squint their eyes for a few moments. Once they adjusted to the light, the sound of pawsteps was heard. Waterpaw guessed it was the other medicine cats. 

Mudfur popped his head in first. Yellowfang was sitting just before the crystals, her body facing the cats. Her tail was wrapped around her front paws. Her gray fur was dim in the light, but sparkled as the other cats neared her. Mudfur looked around. "Where is Spottedle..." He paused and saw Runningnose, standing near Yellowfang. Waterpaw didn't meet the medicine cat's eyes. She didn't want to talk about Spottedleaf and hoped that he didn't keep bringing it up. Luckily Mudfur stayed silent and just flicked his ears nervously. 

"Well, shall we get going?" Rasped Yellowfang, twitching her tail impatiently. 

"Where's Barkface?" Asked Mudfur.

"They're still lost when Brokentail had driven them out." Rasped Yellowfang.

Mudfur nodded his head in respect, then headed first towards the crystal walls. He touched his nose, and laid back his ears as his nose hit the cold. Waterpaw followed after him and touched her nose to the cold walls. She closed her eyes, laid down and began to drift to sleep fairly quickly.

She opened her eyes. Starlight glittered around her. For once, she felt uneasy by the power of the  Moonstone. She looked around and saw cats, like ghosts surrounding a pool of water. She padded closer, looking down on them from a cliff above. Spottedleaf was among them. She wanted to scream out her name, but held in her tongue in case she interrupted some sort of ceremony. The cats just sat, looking down at the pool of water like it was going to take them with its waves. But it didn't. It was steady, and calm. A twitch of the tail from a starlight warrior and the cats all looked at one another, then they all disappeared except one. Spottedleaf, the last cat sitting, gazed toward Waterpaw. Her amber eyes glinted in the light from the Moonstone walls. Waterpaw froze and didn't know what to do. Had she intruded on them?

"Don't worry, Waterpaw." Mewed Spottedleaf as she padded closer to her. "Just because I'm gone, doesn't mean you can't succeed."

Waterpaw couldn't meet her gaze.  "Yes it does." She shuffled her paws.

"No. You have a wonderful talent. Just find what should be done and all shall be normal."

Waterpaw looked back up at her, with worry in her eyes. But before she could respond, Spottedleaf faded away and the light from Moonstone tore into her dream. 

She opened her eyes slowly and shuffled to her paws. She felt like she was in battle for moons. Her joints hurt and she wanted nothing to do than sleep in peace. Spottedleaf's words echoed in her mind. how would she find what should be done? StarClan always makes things so difficult.

Yellowfang stretched out her paws and yawned. She softly shook her pelt and looked sleepily at the other cats. They also began stirring around. They must have dreamt different things, for they didn't seem too worried this time. Waterpaw glanced at them, thinking maybe one of them will show worry, but none of them did. She was the only one that seemed to have some big concerns. She padded quietly after Yellowfang.

"How is ThunderClan after the fight with Brokenstar?" Mewed Runningnose to Yellowfang.

Yellowfang didn't make eye contact and kept walking as she responded, "Good." She lied. Waterpaw guessed that she didn't want to let the other Clans know they were suffering from all the deaths. Runningnose didn't press anymore questions.

Waterpaw padded faster and kept up with Yellowfang's pace. She wanted to speak with her, but she didn't trust her like she did with Spottedleaf. Spottedleaf was born and raised in ThunderClan. Yellowfang was taken in. She was loyal, but could she be trusted with ThunderClan prophecies? Water shook her head. Of course she has to be. Bluestar wouldn't just appoint anyone a medicine cat... would she?