Chapter 17

Chapter 17

I'm Not Going Down

Lan Sizhui blurted, "Pardon?" the curl in his lips falling.

Jiang Cheng did not reply, instead he turns around, striding over with his hands clasped firmly behind his back.

He gets really frustrated when someone fakes a smile at him.

He remembers what Jiang Yanli thought about such irritating thing...

'We often use fake smiles to appear nice. Our intentions are good. We wish others to think of us as 'friendly' and 'approachable'. So we force a smile.

One meant to say...

'I'm here to play nice.'

Which is why this Jiejie suggests calling these types of smiles 'polite' rather than 'fake'.'

Jiang Yanli's standpoint is, as expected, reasonable (of course, coming from the Jiang-zongzhu).

...Wei Ying as well.

'I love smiles! Whether it's real or not. I appreciate someone making an 'effort' to make the world a more pleasant place, even if only for a brief moment. I think it's is a charitable gesture.

As our society becomes more populated, we are forced to spend more of our time sharing resources with strangers -- streets, sidewalks, and stores. 'Good manners' are a social lubricant that makes the rat race run more smoothly.

In personal viewpoint, a 'fake smile' falls under 'good manners'.'

Shockingly, Wei Ying's perspective is decent and sensible, which is unusual for her (though, he knew her intelligence level is above average, she just, all the time, playful and spouting nonsense).

In contrast...

If it's a fake smile, Jiang Cheng would prefer that, they don't smile at all. He's not into those 'smiling for etiquette' people. Call him very blunt, but that's his own opinion. He tries not to judge them, though, because everyone has their own shit to deal with -- that, however, contradicted his earlier statement: 'Pathetic'.

Jiang Cheng's hands fell into his side, registering his previous actions.

Fuck.

Jiang Cheng fused his hands into steely clamps.

He needed to have more control over his obnoxious mouth.

Now he feels guilty.

Jiang Cheng felt the silence engulfed him.

It is a distinct sound, especially if one is to live and work in the 'race'. But where can he hear such a sound nowadays?

Jiang Cheng had only heard it twice.

Once in the forest, it snowed plates-sized flakes. The other was on the mountainside shortly before the sun set, and the environment was at a state of equilibrium.

Oddly enough, it was the most profound sound he'd ever heard.

'Deafening.'

"Do you know why your Yima brought me to Lotus Pier?" He asks.

He's not oblivious of Lan Sizhui being close behind.

Lan Sizhui was hesitant at first, but eventually responded, "Yima suspects Mo-gongzi as the Yiling Laozu, so she sought to bring him here..."

Jiang Cheng thought, his gray irises gleamed dully in the lamplight, 'It's not 'suspicion' this time. She's caught the right person.'

Lan Sizhui added, "...However, her assumption was incorrect. Out of good will, Yima led Mo-gongzi to this residence."

Jiang Cheng's brow twitched ever so slightly.

Only if he knew...

"And you? What do you think?"

Lan Sizhui claimed, "Zidian was unable to expel your soul. I believe you are not 'him'."

Jiang Cheng, "..."

Lan Sizhui wondered, "What is it, Mo-gongzi? Is there dirt in my face?" as he touched his cheek in search of a soot.

Jiang Cheng answered, voice undeniably solemn, "I was just thinking that in life, there are two phrases that shouldn't be left unsaid, no matter how mawkish they sound."

"Which two, Mo-gongzi?"

Jiang Cheng stopped his steps, turning himself to look at Lan Sizhui face to face, "'Duibuqi', hai you 'xiexie ni'."

Lan Sizhui went completely still, "..."

Quietness surfaced again, quietness very similar to an ache with less oxygen.

Lan Sizhui said when he regained himself. "You have saved us several times... and yet I..." He paused without intention.

Jiang Cheng used this chance to say:

"Duibuqi."

Lan Sizhui was stunned, his eyes grown wide. "What?"

"How I treated you back at Mount Dafan. I'm sorry."

Lan Sizhui, "..."

No one had ever apologized to Lan Sizhui so sincerely before. Being hit in the face with a 'sorry' left him speechless, and strangely, he became deeply... uncomfortable.

"It is nothing." He says as he waved his hand. "Mo-gongzi, I want to apologize as well. I was childish. I had broken my strings of control. This one should have known better." He pauses and murmured:

"Very unlike of me."

The latter words were spoken in hushed tones, but Jiang Cheng heard them.

Lan Sizhui adds, "A-Ling-- Jin Ling was also wrong, so I apologize on his behalf."

Jiang Cheng was about to speak when his sight was drawn to two young figures in aurulent colors.

"I'm not going down!" A female child exclaimed, clinging into the tree like a limpet.

"Ni ge xiaogui!" A boy bellowed out in frustration, his words echoing all the way to the full ethereal moon. "What's causing you to have a tantrum?!"

It was Jin Ling...

With legs flailing in the air, the girl cried, "It's because you didn't let me join you on your Hunt Night!"

...And...? Who's this nuhai?

Hearing the sentence, Jin Ling scrunched up his forehead. He corrected: "It's 'Night Hunt'! You can't even get that right, let alone fight!"

The kid trembled when Jin Ling gave her that harsh comment. Following that, she blushed scarlet due to embarrassment. She yelled, her words broken, "Y-You're s-so annoying! I-I hate you!"

Jin Ling was delighted, "What a coincidence, I hate you, too!"

Lan Sizhui said, mannerly, "Mo-gongzi, please wait here." stepping forward to approach them.

Mo-gongzi stayed, much to Lan Sizhui's surprise.

The boy is unaware that, Jiang Cheng was currently overwhelmed with lucid reminiscences of his sisters (again, and always).

Lan Sizhui smiled at the beautiful girl who was frowning.

"You can come down now, Jin Ruyin."