Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Too Young

There is no other way...

According to Wen Qing's theory, golden cores could not be rebuilt. However, they could be transplanted, or relocated from one person to another.

...Take this one or none, there are no other choices.

It is already dark. As a mother to her infant, the natural black embraces the stars.

The scroll creaked from his firm grip.

The sleepy Wei Ying from across the table took notice of this.

Her eyes bored into him, "Jiang Cheng? What's wrong?"

The pale crescent moon shone through the window, akin to a silvery claw in the sky.

"I..." Jiang Cheng replied, hesitant, "found a way."

"Really?!"

As she spoke, the blaze of the wood-hanging lanterns splattered Wei Ying's lineaments, expanding as bright wings and coating the outline of her face.

Wei Ying looks like she'd forgotten she was fatigued.

Leaning her weight towards his side, "But, why do you have 'that' expression on your face?" she frowned as she read his expression, puzzled.

Jiang Cheng gives her a glaring stare, "What 'expression' are you talking about?" rolling the scroll closed and placing it underneath his table.

His behavior bothered Wei Ying greatly.

She'll discover what's inside, later.

Wei Ying's countenance became dull as she conveyed her observation: "Your eyelids drooped, bleak and glum, as if Heaven and Earth had fallen. You have your brows lowered and knitted together -- you're having an apprehensive thought. Your jaw clenched, an evidence that you're stressed and anxious. Sadness has clouded your features."

Rolling his eyes, "You're too specific." Jiang Cheng commented, "Do you have a fever?" he touched her forehead.

Wei Ying lets him.

His cold palm met an equally cold forehead.

"I don't." She spared him a once-over, "Weisheme?"

His mouth twitched in response, "'Cause I swear I just heard you sounding like a fucking writer." he removed his hand from her frons.

The fact that her shidi had become chatty could only indicate that he is agitated.

She's known him for far too long to be unaware of this habit.

'So, he can't lie to me.' Wei Ying concludes.

Wei Ying voiced her concern: "Stop digressing, Jiang Cheng. Tell me... what's the problem?"

Jiang Cheng's gaze was averted. "...Nothing."

He lied.

Wei Ying was hurt, her eyes were glossy, "Jiang Cheng, is it something so bad you can't even tell me?"

He'd tell her about it. But...

Wei Ying holds his arm, "No matter what, I'm ready to listen!"

But he's not yet ready.

If not now, when?

When will he be ready?

Tomorrow?
The day after tomorrow?
The day after that?

Jiang Cheng knows that, he shouldn't dwell on this issue for too long.

Otherwise, everything will be too late.