ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

AUGUST, 1990
NYC .ೃ࿐

POLLY WAS MORE TORN UP
about Jeff's news than she'd like to admit.

Over and over again she had told herself to not feel so strongly about it, about him in general. But that just wasn't possible, to care less.

It was obvious he meant more to her in months than any other man had meant to her in much more than that.

Which was stupid because it'd all be over within weeks, whether they wanted it to be or not.

It hurt.

And her hurt turned to anger, although Jeff had done nothing except what he promised himself to do since the first day he'd picked up a guitar.

Polly kept the anger to herself, knowing it was selfish to want to keep him close to her.

So she lived each summer day out with him, needy nights in her apartment, morning walks to breakfast, and down to flea markets- hand in hand.

Jeff was happy, a genuine happy not just the high before a low. It was truly refreshing in a way he had almost forgotten.

"How long?" Polly's voice broke the silence in her dark bedroom.

"What?" Jeff replied, although well aware what her question was.

"How long will you be gone?"

He was quiet for a moment too long. "I'm not sure. Not too long."

"You're leaving me." Polly's voice sounded broken, her words shaky.

"That's the last thing I'd want to do, Polly. But I've got to go, you know that better than anyone."

"I do. I'm sorry." She sighed, "I'm being selfish."

"No you're not. And I'll be back soon." Jeff's hand trailed down her arm and to her hand, clutching it in his.

"Soon is too long."

"We have time, don't think about me leaving." His tired eyes drooped as his voice faltered.

"It's all I think about. You are all I think about."

Somehow Jeff mustered a small smile, if only Polly knew how much I think about her, he thought.

In recent times, she had seldom left his thoughts.

It was then, in the small moment that Jeff realized he loved her. He grinned, and Polly looked at him funny.

If only she knew, Jeff almost laughed to himself at the sudden realization.

He couldn't tell her though, not yet.

"I'm not joking, stop it!" She hit his arm playfully as he failed to keep his laugh in.

"I'm sorry- I'm just so lucky."

"So you're laughing?"

"Yes." He nodded.

Polly smiled along with him, "you are so fucking confusing."