ꜰɪꜰᴛᴇᴇɴ

THE PLANE HASN'T LEFT YET.

It's late, and now I kinda wish it wouldn't leave. I don't wanna leave NY. Polly called last night, just to say one last goodbye, but I wish she would've just came over instead.

I almost told the taxi to go to her place, just one last kiss, or something. Now I really wish I had done that.

The planes leaving

Jeff closed his notebook as he slid the window shade up, peering out at the tarmac as the plane slowly started to move.

His old boots tapped nervously as the plane lifted off with a jolt.

༻✦༺

"I should've gone over."

Brooke shook her head at her friend, "you didn't have to. You're broken up. I think."

"He probably thought I was going to, I probably let him down." Polly thought out loud, pulling her hair back into a ponytail.

"You couldn't ever let Jeff down. He's okay, and it sounds like it's just a break. While he's gone."

"You're right." Polly nodded to Brooke and made her way to the front door.

Brooke practically dragged Polly out to a bar, then a club, and back to the bar.

As they stumbled through the bar doors once more, it was getting to be early morning.

A band who had just finished playing amps buzzed with feedback, but it just blended into the music that was playing through blown out speakers.

It was all just a hum to Brooke and Polly, as the bartender poured another round of shots.

The schnapps burned down Polly's throat and her eyes screwed shut as she felt the sudden urge to leave the dive.

She found herself in the alley behind, back pressed against the deteriorating bricks. She rested her head on the wall and looked up at the sky.

Polly saw a murky grey-black stained with streaky clouds, barely visible in the dark. She let herself fall to the ground, hugging her knees to her chest, head still tilted to the sky.

She could feel the music through the wall, the footsteps, the voices, the emotion.

Inside the bar, she had felt in place downing shots and lightheartedly joking with the other bar-goers. The light and all positive feeling was left in the low lit dive.

As soon as she stumbled outside, the reality seemed sad- not the glamour of partying anymore.

Everyone in the bar must've been there for a reason, drowning their darkness in schnapps as Polly had just done.

Why was she outside in the cold, looking to the sky, seeking for comfort she wouldn't find in anything or anyone except him.

He wasn't there though.
He had left.

Left and taken a piece of her, but left none of him.

But maybe he didn't need to leave anything. Maybe he had left himself there with her, in her ring, her heart, her bed sheets, in her rolls of film, in the way she could feel the music through the brick wall.

Polly managed to pick herself up from her position in the alley, dust off her outfit, and begin on her walk home.

With the few familiar blocks she passed, lit up shops and vandalized walls, she could only think how Jeff had once walked past them all, holding her hand in his.