Seven

"You-you aren't frozen," he states stuttering. I nod and look around again. Everything has stopped besides me and him.

"So, you going to unfreeze everything?" I ask.

"Oh, uh, yeah," he says flicking his fingers again. Everything unfreezes. People bustle around.

"Look," I say looking at his nametag. "Oryn. I need to talk to you after work." He nods.

After work, Oryn and I walk out of the coffee shop.

"How did you not freeze?" he asks.

"I don't know. I'm assuming that maybe because I have powers too that I don't freeze," I say he nods.

"So, how long have you had your powers?" I ask.

"A few years," he replies.

"How'd you get them?" I ask.

"I don't really know. They just kind of happened," he says. "You're taking this awfully well. Why?"

"Because I have powers too," I say. His eyes widen. "Com'on," I say dragging him to my apartment. I show him my energy ball, force fields, and my flying. He gapes at me.

"So you're Shadow?" he asks. I nod.

"You can't tell anyone," I say. He nods.

"My lips are sealed," he says pretending to lock his lips.

"We should fight crime together," he exclaims.

"I don't know, Oryn," I say. "It's hard work and you definately don't get paid."

"Xander!" he whines.

"I'm just saying, I don't think it's a good idea," I say. He glares at me and says "You'll need me." I sigh. Mya walks in.

"Who was he?" she asks.

"Just a friend from work," I say.

"Oh," she says sitting next to me.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"What?" she asks innocently. I look down at her.

"You just seemed sad. That's all," I say.

"I just..." she says trailing off.

"Its okay if you don't want to talk about it. Just know I'm here for you," I say putting a hand on her shoulder. She smiles at me.

She looks at the clock. She immediately stands up. "I should go," she says hurriedly. I stand up too.

"Um, okay I'll see you later," I say. She hurriedly walks out the door. What is she up to? I throw on my sweatshirt and gloves and fly out the window. Mya is just now leaving the building. I follow her by jumping from the roof of building to building. She keeps walking. She walks all the way to a warehouse. She stops, looks around to see if anyone's around, then enters the warehouse. She goes in. I wait for awhile, but she doesn't come out. What is she doing in there? I decide not to pry and leave to go back to my apartment. I sit on the roof like I had the other night.

"Shadow," I hear behind me. I turn around.

"Jade," I say standing up. "What do you want?"

"You out of this city, but I guess I don't always get what I want," she says, sass hanging on every word. She glares at me and I glare back, though she can't really see it. I hear a scream in the distance. Jade and I look at each other. I fly off and she keeps up with me by jumping building to building. We see a girl on the ground clutching her side. I see a man with a knife.

"Take care of the girl!" I order to Jade.

"I don't take answers from you," She hisses.

"Hurry, before she bleeds out! I'm going after the guy!" I yell flying after the man. I hear Jade talking to the woman and helping her. I see the guy up ahead he's still holding the knife. I throw an energy ball at him at his leg trying to knock him down. He falls to the ground holding his ankle. Whoops. I fly down and walk over to him.

"Stay down," I hiss at him. He looks up at me in pain. He groans in pain clutching his ankle tighter.

"Why'd you stab her?" I ask meanly.

"She-she, uh, was pregnant with my b-baby," she stutters.

"You tried to kill the baby?" I ask sadly. He nods.

Tears fall from his eyes. I pick him up by the arm and fly him to the police station. The sheriff asks me a few questions and I leave. I go to the hospital where Jade is with the woman.

"Will she be okay?" I ask.

"She will, but she was pregnant and the baby... Won't be," Jade says sadly. I nod deciding I shouldn't say anything else.

We sit in silence for awhile in front of a window where we can look in on the woman's operation. "He stabbed her because he didn't want the baby. It was his," I say. I see a single tear slide down her face.

"You okay?" I ask.

She nods. "I will be." Jade walks out of the hospital. I sigh and walk out a little later. I'll go see the woman tomorrow. I walk out and see Jade fighting the man that tried to kill her at the park. She pulls a knife on him. He points the gun at her. She swiftly knocks the knife out of his hand and puts the knife to his throat. He knocks the knife away and grabs his gun. She's on the ground defenseless. He points the gun between her eyes.

"Checkmate," He says to her. I jump toward her and wrap my arms around her, putting a force field up as I do. Everything freezes. I look up at Oryn. He smiles.

"Told you you'd need me," he say with a smirk.