17.

"Dada pretty!"

"Dada pretty!"

"I think we've already established that."

"No! Dada pretty!"

Camilla is applying make up to Dominic's face while the nurses are changing his bandages. He's unable to move, all the while our daughter attacks him.

I pick her up, even if she's squirming against my hold, and drop her on the chair next to Easton. Easton, my baby, who's curled up and sleeping. He's cute, if we don't count that fact he's drooling.

I leave a small kiss on his forehead before walking back to Dominic. His recovery is slow. I'm not comparing him to Easton, but it's true that his brother was already training by now. 

The nurses leave the room with a glance on Asher, who's working on a few files in the corner of the room. I'm aware he's sexy with those glasses he recently got, but there's no need to gush over my husband.

"Hey, sweetheart," I whisper to the already tired Dominic. He mumbles something and turns to me, his eyes half closed. I fondle a little with his hair. "Are you that tired?"

It scares me how bad his physique is now. He used to be so strong, so inexhaustible. But now he's tired after a half hour of keeping his eyes open. 

He doesn't like to admit it, though. Even now, he shakes his head. While it's clear he'll fall asleep in just a few minutes. I nod, deciding to not call him out on things. "Okay. Do you want to cuddle a little?"

That brings a smile on his face. He shifts a little in the bed, making room for me. I join him, making sure I don't hurt his side. When we're all cuddled up, he hides his face in the nape of my neck. "This has been long."

I hum, continuing to play with his hair. I know that calms him. "Has it?"

He nods, eyes fluttering. "I'm sorry I can't stay awake for you. I think the drugs are too strong."

I kiss his head. "They are? Maybe we should talk to the doctor later today, then." 

He nods and tightens his hold on me. "I would love to start getting better. If I wasn't so tired all the damn time, I promise I would be trying to get in a better condition."

I kiss his cheek, or a part of it that's not hidden in between us. "You don't owe me any promise, Dominic. It's not your fault."

He gives me a little shrug, eyes never opening again. "I want to make you happy. This is not that. I want to be a good dad to my kids. This is not that. I want to be better than mine. This is—" "Exactly that."

He frowns, slightly shaking his head. "No . . . They should be playing right now . . . having fun . . ."

And he's asleep, still muttering how this is making him a bad dad. I hate that he's comparing himself to his own father. Because clearly, he's so much better.