19.*

"So he just went away?"

Dominic pouts at Daisy, unable to answer her question. "Like I've said, I don't know! He disappeared when I was asleep!"

My poor wife is worried about Easton and Aiden, who have gone away but not returned. She's worried a lot, these days, and I'm not very fond of it. 

I never comment on it, because I don't want a bomb exploding right into my face, but she does need a break. Dominic's situation is getting better, slowly but steadily, and Father is getting weaker and weaker.

One day, not too long from now, we'll kill him. For real, this time. I know she worries about that day, too, but it's in the future and not in the present. There's no need for it be a concern already.

I wrap an arm around her waist, kiss down her jaw until I'm leaving bite marks in her neck. That makes her laugh and her shoulders relax. "Ash! I'm trying to talk to Dom!"

"Yeah," I murmur against her skin. "And I'm saving him."

She gasps, mockingly indignant, and turns around to meet my eyes. I give her a smile, wanting to see hers again. It's been way too since she's laughed without being forced to, without exhaustion lining her face. 

"I think you need me to bring you some peace," I wink, bringing our tangled hands up so she twirls around once. She cocks her head to the side. "And how would you do that?"

I shrug. "I have my ways." 

Yet, not here with the kids. They don't want to see what I can do to their mother.

"Sebastian, Camilla, come here," I nudge them. Scrambling off the bed, they listen to what I said. Sebastian is the first to reach me, so he's the lucky one who gets my hugs. 

I know this isn't the home situation we wanted to give him, or the one he deserves, and that pains me. He went from one traumatizing place to another, and half of it is our fault. I don't think I can forgive myself for that. 

Though he feels comfortable around us, I sometimes catch him staring at the door, wondering how badly he could get hurt if he decided to take a sprint. He never does, another lingering trauma of his dad, but I would never punish him if he did. All I would be, is worried. 

Because if he wants to run away from us, what are we doing wrong? Or is the hospital he doesn't want to be near? 

Camilla joins us, so I wrap my other arm around her waist. I'm bending through my knees, so I can be on the same eye level as my babies. "Well, hello, there."

"Hello!" Camilla grins widely, looking joyous. Naps always make her happy, and if they're combined with Dominic, her mood can't get any better. Seb is shyer, but he gives me a hesitant smile as a way of greeting. 

"What do you say we go to the indoor playground? I heard there is a new slide!" My daughter's face morphs into pure delight, already clapping her hands and running away to tell Dominic and Daisy. My son's face is slightly frowning, as if doubting he's invited too.